The UK as an American State or States

Endy0816

On 9/23/2021 at 4:55 PM, MigL said:

The UK ???
Not a chance.
I give them 10 years before they're back with the EU; too many common interests and endeavors.

Although parts of the US, specifically the North-East and the whole West coast, have expressed interest in becoming Canadian provinces.

What is"Why we need a border wall and make the Americans pay for it"?, Alex. 😜

Edited by J.C.MacSwell

44 minutes ago, zapatos said:

AFAIK, no one at all refers to Cornwall as a country.

Very true. But it has been one in the past, unlike Northern Ireland. Besides, my reference was jocular and somewhat ironical. Cornwall is conservative in its voting habit; it endorsed Brexit by 56%, shooting itself in the economic foot, so to speak, and wouldn't likely vote to join another big country. 

Edited by Peterkin

9 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Depends on who you ask.

Does all truth depend on whom you ask? Is nationhood a matter of opinion?

11 minutes ago, zapatos said:

At least that is what you said earlier.

I said "some people describe it as such". I also said they're wrong.

17 minutes ago, Peterkin said:

Does all truth depend on whom you ask? Is nationhood a matter of opinion?

I said "some people describe it as such". I also said they're wrong.

I feel like you are always more interested in sparring than discussing.

Only two countries are named on that document. Scotland might take umbrage, but it does vindicate the nation status of Northern Ireland.

I was initially referring to the map in the OP, which depicts what I mistakenly believed was three previously identifiable nations. @Endy0816 has since explained

North Ireland is assumed to have chosen to leave or kept Territory status. ie. Simplifies the analysis and I did't have a tri-split map with NI included.

As the population involved is under 2,000,000, it could, in theory be appended to either the red or the blue section without upsetting the balance of Electoral College representation.

4 countries it is, then.

But I still don't think they'd want to join the USA.

Edited by Peterkin

16 hours ago, Peterkin said:

Only two countries are named on that document. Scotland might take umbrage, but it does vindicate the nation status of Northern Ireland.

I was initially referring to the map in the OP, which depicts what I mistakenly believed was three previously identifiable nations. @Endy0816 has since explained

As the population involved is under 2,000,000, it could, in theory be appended to either the red or the blue section without upsetting the balance of Electoral College representation.

4 countries it is, then.

But I still don't think they'd want to join the USA.

Nitpicky but EC is actually separate, though the numbers are about the same anyways.

EC Votes = Number of House Representatives + Number of Senators

Only for President and Vice President Elections.

Edited by Endy0816

21 minutes ago, Endy0816 said:

EC Votes = Number of House Representatives + Number of Senators

The Brits, etc., still won't adopt this system. I think they quite like their (and our) Parliamentary one.

I actually only mentioned the EC for its absurdity. I've been far off base throughout this thread. Please disregard.

On 9/23/2021 at 9:06 PM, Endy0816 said:

You say that, but then we have UK whispering under the door something about joining our sweet US, Mexican, Canadian ménage à trois .

Haha. That was some idiot, probably Bozo, wildly speculating about a quick alternative to the US-UK trade deal that Biden had just told him he could forget about, at least for the next few years. Brexitter true believers are desperate for a big trade deal, now that the UK has lost access to the EU Single Market, so Bozo probably wanted to show them he was still trying. After 24hrs reflection, Downing Street dismissed the idea. (Accepting a take-it-or-leave-it package, containing all the elements the Brits wanted to avoid in the bespoke deal we are now not going to get, is not going to work in UK domestic politics.) 

4 hours ago, exchemist said:

Haha. That was some idiot, probably Bozo, wildly speculating about a quick alternative to the US-UK trade deal that Biden had just told him he could forget about, at least for the next few years. Brexitter true believers are desperate for a big trade deal, now that the UK has lost access to the EU Single Market, so Bozo probably wanted to show them he was still trying. After 24hrs reflection, Downing Street dismissed the idea. (Accepting a take-it-or-leave-it package, containing all the elements the Brits wanted to avoid in the bespoke deal we are now not going to get, is not going to work in UK domestic politics.) 

Yeah, that one about killed me.

'Yes, I'd like to join your closed membership group. Where do I sign up?'

At least TPP is open to new admissions and Pitcairn definitely in the Pacific.

11 hours ago, Peterkin said:

The Brits, etc., still won't adopt this system. I think they quite like their (and our) Parliamentary one.

I actually only mentioned the EC for its absurdity. I've been far off base throughout this thread. Please disregard.

Yeah, not likely but they do keep asking about benefits reserved for States, so who knows lol. Feel like we should fax over the annexation paperwork and watch the fun begin.

Mainly just wanted to determine what all would be legally required and then work out possiblties from there.

EC is crazy that's for sure. Sometimes think Founders were in a rush to wrap up for lunch or something at that point.

'Let's have the runner up become VP. What could go wrong?'

'Rando's appointed to actually vote? Why not?'

Edited by Endy0816

8 minutes ago, Endy0816 said:

Yeah, that one about killed me.

'Yes, I'd like to join your closed membership group. Where do I sign up?'

At least TPP is open to new admissions and Pitcairn definitely in the Pacific.

Yeah, not likely but they do keep asking about benefits reserved for States, so who knows lol. Feel like we should fax over the annexation paperwork and watch the fun begin.

Mainly just wanted to determine what all would be legally required and then work out possiblties from there.

EC is crazy that's for sure. Sometimes think Founders were in a rush to wrap up for lunch or something at that point.

'Let's have the runner up become VP. What could go wrong?'

'What's a term limit?'

'Rando's appointed to actually vote? Why not?'

Still, we're on the same planet if not the same continent... 

12 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Still, we're on the same planet if not the same continent... 

Not about the continent for USMCA, there's simply no accession clause allowing new members to join.

Either individual agreements or TPP membership would be better bets for UK's North America strategy.

Personally feel other less developed regions are better candidates for UK to focus on. Likely to be much more worthwhile trade.