Chemistry is confusing me.

ps2huang

neutrons and protons are inside the neclues of the atom protons are positively charged while electrons are negatively charged while neutrons are neutral, only electrons can be lost or gained when a reaction occurs, so if an atom was to lose an electron it would be positively charged as there is an unequal balance of positive and negative charges, and if it was to gain an electron it would be negatively charged, covalent bonding is when a molecule has a shaired pair of electrons covalent bonding usually happens with non-metal atoms only for hydrogen bonds check this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_bond

Cheers

Kyle

Here are some analogies:

An atom is a letter.

A molecule is a word.

A reaction is a sentence.

[Reality is a conversation.]

A hydrogen bond is flirting.

An ionic bond is sex.

A covalent bond is marriage.

Protons are ova, electrons are sperm [i don't know how this analogy will help you, but it has always stuck in my head]

First, chemistry is like every other subject; it is over simplified in the early courses. You are just learning the basics; it is like learning to read. Right now you are learning the alphabet of chemistry. It gets better.

I think you are confusing elements, atoms, and molecules; some elements exist naturally as diatomic molecules, i.e. O2, N2.

Here are some analogies:

An atom is a letter.

A molecule is a word.

A reaction is a sentence.

[Reality is a conversation.]

A hydrogen bond is flirting.

An ionic bond is sex.

A covalent bond is marriage.

ROFLOL, I like it!

I've taken chemistry' date=' I don't get the analogies.

I think i get the top part, not the bonds though. Flirting?[/quote']

I've never really worked out the correspondance; that's just how it always seemed to me.

Let's see: a hydrogen bond is weak, and only sigficant when the objects are close; just as you flirt with some one because they are there, and it's fun, but it doesn't really mean anything.

Ionic bond: the ionic bond is one of pure attraction; the extra electron draws the molecule with the missing electron ... I think the sexual comparison is obvious.

Covalent bond: the strongest bond, in which electrons are shared; well, marriage means that you are actually sharing your life.

I guess the metallic bond is most like a community ...

how is an ionic bond like sex, and convalent mariage. Shouldnt convalent be sex and ionic marriage, becuase ionic bonds are stronger tha n convalent?

Covalent bonds are stronger than ionic bonds. Though if covalent bonds were like sex, then carbon would be one big pimp, and sulfur and phosphorus are just sluts.

Covalent bonds are stronger than ionic bonds. Though if covalent bonds were like sex, then carbon would be one big pimp, and sulfur and phosphorus are just sluts.

.. beer all over the monitor...

How can ionic bonds make molecules go away? a covalent bond will join 2 atoms together with the sharing or electrons. ionic bonds are electrostatic attractions between 2 or more atoms, where is the going awayness?

nice analogies, they will stick with me the rest of my life.