Big Five and friendship pattern

54 minutes ago, Hans de Vries said:

Why are some people mostly interested in people in their closest vicinity like family and neighboors while others have a much wider circle of firnds

Premise requires confirmation / evidence

1 hour ago, iNow said:

Premise requires confirmation / evidence

I think it's almost a tautology. You can probably draw a circle around a geographic representation of people's social network, with some people having their network predominantly inside and others not. The premise would be trivially true.

I just think the question itself in incredibly vague, and I'd guess the answer is "probably"

The real issue is the extent. If you have friends from diverse geographic areas it could depend on many factors that have nothing to do extraversion and openness. (Does your family move very often? Does your school have some sort of exchange program? Which are you in: an urban, residential or rural setting?)

10 hours ago, Hans de Vries said:

Why are some people mostly interested in people in their closest vicinity like family and neighboors while others have a much wider circle of firnds/

Because those "some" people restrict their movements to their near vicinity. They may be old and/or frail, so that mobility is physically difficult for them, or recent immigrants, uncertain of the language and mores of their new country, or children, who can only go outside the range of home-school-babysitter-friends' houses with  adult accompaniment, or home-workers, farm wives, stay-at-home mothers who have no independent transport, or lives so busy that they have no time go anywhere. 

The "others" may have jobs,  social activities, clubs, sports, classes or hobbies far from their homes and meet people there who live farther away.  

It's more a question of access and exposure than personality.

25 minutes ago, Peterkin said:

The "others" may have jobs,  social activities, clubs, sports, classes or hobbies far from their homes and meet people there who live farther away.  

It's more a question of access and exposure than personality.

Yes, it takes all kinds. I have a group of indigenous friends that I have known for more then 30 years...we still get together for the occasional piss up...I have an old school mate from more then 40 years ago, who married a pommy sheila and now lives in England...we still converse via a couple of mediums every week...Our old boys group from school, still 7 of us that are still standing, to one degree or another, not counting quadtriple by-passes, ALS and broken hips,...I have a recent old [old in age] friend I only met a couple of years ago, while I was delivering to his house for meals on wheels, I still visit him and help out when needed..my Mrs's Fijian church choir who [before lockdown] would practise at my house every couple of months or so...after their practise, I would have a great time with the men folk drinking yaqona [kava], some often come round for a bowl or two or three, 😉 independant of the choir.... I have many football [rugby league] friends that meet on game day, have a few beers, and go out to shout encouragement for the might Eastern suburbs Roosters. And then of course is my beautiful family!

Edited by beecee

Internet and especially social networks redefined/degenerated words "friend" and "friendship"..

"5 minutes" after registration to Internet social network you are flooded by people from all continents asking for adding them to your friend's list.

1 hour ago, Sensei said:

Internet and especially social networks redefined/degenerated words "friend" and "friendship"..

"5 minutes" after registration to Internet social network you are flooded by people from all continents asking for adding them to your friend's list.

Very true.

But would you ask them for romantic advice, a loan or to stay over for Christmas?

I think it just produced yet another level of friendship. We used to have best friends, close friends, family friends, school friends, work friends and mutual friends (another couple, one of whom is a close friend of a spouse, or the old friend of someone to whom we recently grew close) and even pen friends.  Now we also have a low level of relationship brought about by 'friending' someone - a stranger with whom we have a superficial sympathy - and friend a foe lists - people with whom often agree or disagree.

The word is worn out, but the relationships haven't changed very much - only diluted in intensity.

1 hour ago, Sensei said:

🤪Yeah, including a leggy blonde or two. But always ignored!!!