would you help me with future perfect?

Ahtahkakoop11

22 hours ago, joigus said:

"I'm often visiting old monuments"

is awful, from the point of view of good English grammar.

Using the present continuous is perfectly correct and acceptable in the right context.

As a monument inspector I am often visiting old monuments in the course of my duties.

A continuous process that is still ongoing in the present and will do so in the future.

1 hour ago, studiot said:

A continuous process that is still ongoing in the present and will do so in the future.

Consider me a ramshackled old monument* that needs your attention from time to time. And is very thankful for it.

The uses of the present continuous that I can remember are,

1) Pointing out, reminding, or plainly informing the listener about the activity the speaker is involved in at the time of speaking:

I can't talk now, I'm working

2) Pointing out, reminding, or plainly informing the listener about a future activity the speaker already --at the time of speaking-- has made arrangements for.

It's impossible for me to attend, I'm seeing the doctor at that time

3) Pointing out, reminding, or plainly informing the listener about an annoying habit they indulge in:

You're always talking back to me

To which I would add:

4) Quite deliberately using function 2) for emphasis, when the speaker is only signaling their firm intention:

I'm not talking to you anymore!

And that much is what I remember, although there may be other, literal of figurative.

But English is very rich indeed, and what it may lack here and there in grammatical structures, it makes up for in creativity.

I've always been a fan of,

I must be going**

*Maybe not a monument, and just a piece of work. :D

**Top that! A modal with "be going"

Edited by joigus
minor addition

12 hours ago, Endy0816 said:

I'd say he was pretty good a teacher. Still crazy going to Japan then, but how many can say they taught Samurai?

That's a bunch of commited students though...

Commited to do Seppuku if you fail. :eyebrow: