Do people with high conscientousness like to work?

Doesn't that depend on the work they're doing?

I assume that they get satisfaction from completing whatever tasks they've taken on, and doing them accurately - as do I.  I assume they would be happy to perform work they consider beneficial and constructive - as do I. There is self-esteem, too, in earning one's wages and pulling one's weight on a team - as I found during my employed life. And, of course, if the work requires the best use of their talents and skills, it's pleasurable in itself.

Work for its own sake - I doubt it.

3 hours ago, Hans de Vries said:

Do people who score high on conscientousness like to work/find working pleasurable? 

Yes, my Mrs! Although now officially retired as I am, is constantly on the move, doing whatever she has any need to do...constantly sweeping, dusting, ironing, washing, cooking, sometimes unecessarily so. 

When she was working at her job as a Nurse in the sterilisation section of a hospital, she would be bringing home new operational procedures, reading up on them and putting them into practise to the best of her ability. 

4 minutes ago, MigL said:

If Beecee and Peterkin are conscientious workers, and like working so much, how come they're always online whenever I log on ?
😄 😄

Oi!!!  I never said I was a conscientious worker or ever really was....just the Mrs!! 😉 I prefer my football, my meat pies and a VB or two or three!!

Edited by beecee

1 hour ago, MigL said:

I have to ask...
What's a VB ?

iNow has answered that...I'll just add, it's a great drop!!

1 hour ago, MigL said:

And thanks for being honest; nobody likes work.
Otherwise they'd call it 'partying'.

I love my retirement and am thankful I am able to still do most things, including a  bit of exercise on the morning...Mrs sometimes get's a bit bored...then I lock myself in my man cave with my bar fridge topped up with V.B and keep out of her way. 😜 Only problem I have is when the Son pops over with a carton of some "new age" Japanese lager, real crap stuff!...a standing joke at my place. The only other problem is/was before lockdown, she would bring her Fijian choir over for practise every couple of months or so. I would adjourn to my man cave, and only come back when they had finished and the men folk had started drinking yaqona [kava] which I would join in with. 😅

Edited by beecee

1 hour ago, MigL said:

If Beecee and Peterkin are conscientious workers, and like working so much, how come they're always online whenever I log on ?
😄 😄

I don't know about Beecee. Since retirement, I work as many and whichever hours I want, mostly on the computer. The little work I do is done to an exacting standard.

7 hours ago, Hans de Vries said:

Do people who score high on conscientousness like to work/find working pleasurable? 

How is it that you think those with high conscientiousness scores differ from those with lower scores? 

Depends entirely on the nature of the work, the individual, and countless other variables. 

7 hours ago, Hans de Vries said:

I would say there is no correlation.  Conscientous people may appear to like their work because they work diligently and complete all assignments-- but that may simply be a consequence of the drive to do things right.  I can recall many occasions in my work life when I tried very hard to do things right just to get them off my plate without damaging my reputation.

Edited by OldChemE
spell czech

Then it would depend on your coworkers and students... customers... suppliers... and all other relevant variables. You're looking for a binary answer to a question which lives on a spectrum. 

I generally am conscientious, but dotting every "i" on a job is not always that much fun.   Some work is drudgery I'm happy to see getting over with.  With age,  and a meditative cast of mind,  I seem to enjoy the drudgery a bit more.   I do make every effort to finish senten

42 minutes ago, TheVat said:

I generally am conscientious, but dotting every "i" on a job is not always that much fun.   Some work is drudgery I'm happy to see getting over with.  With age,  and a meditative cast of mind,  I seem to enjoy the drudgery a bit more.   I do make every effort to finish senten

“To freeze the moment
In seventeen syllables
Is very diffic

- Haiku No. 1

John Cooper Clarke, The Luckiest Guy Alive

The luckiest guy alive, doesn't work for a living; his work provides a living...

As you can tell from my nom-de-plume numerals, I've just turned 90, but I'm happiest when I have productive physical work to do. In my case, conscientiousness may be irrelevant to liking to work.

I was lucky 10 years ago when a local resident was unlucky enough to have his house, and property-based business submersed in the 2011 floods. It was obvious that he needed help to hose off all the mud from everything. Not only that, but he discovered that his 'storm and tempest' insurance did not cover 'flood' damage, so he had to totally renovate his own house, as well as keep his business afloat. I stayed on to help with his business.

I've been helping out voluntarily for 6 hours a day some 2 or 3 days a week in doing preliminary repairs on box air conditioners and water coolers; I get a strange satisfaction out of diagnosing and fixing broken down machines.

As distinct from my 40 years of working with animals as a veterinarian, I don't get bumped, kicked, scratched or bitten by these mechanical things.

But most of my work is in scrapping old domestic and contractor-hut air conditioners and water coolers. It can be dirty and dusty work; decayed remains of mice, rats and geckos are par for the job, as well as accumulated filth and dust. It doesn't worry me. I separate the ferrous, bronze, copper and plastic components for dumping and scrap metal. 

My main task seems to be in crimping copper tubing with bolt cutters before breaking it manually into short lengths so  that it can be transported in 20 litre buckets. I suppose the positive feedback is that it develops my pectoral muscles in particular. When I go to the gym once a week, I can do 20 reps at 100 kg on the pecs machine, if I part my arms the distance of bolt cutters -- about 40 cm (16 inches). With full arm extension, I can only press about 10 reps of 60 kg.

Somehow I get some satisfaction out of keeping my body active, and I suppose I feel I am doing something useful as well.

Maybe I'm conscientious about keeping active, but I would be extremely disappointed if my friend sold the business and I was unable to do that work any more.

Perhaps the OP should be discussed on the basis of what each of us is conscientious about.