Is Yes the Same as No?

Tristan L

1 hour ago, swansont said:

No, it is not

Let me quote Bob's response to statements of that kind from my book Is Yes the Same as No? A Bewildering Tale about Agreement and Disagreement:

Yes, affirmation and negation are indeed not the same thing, and thus, they are the same thing. You have negated the sameness of affirmation and negation, and since there's no difference between affirming something and negating it, you've affirmed the sameness of affirmation and negation.

1 hour ago, swansont said:

the other option was "yes, it is" but both can't be true, and they aren't the same

To this, Bob would answer: "True, and since yes=no, we have (it can't be that both are true) = (it can be that both are true). Moreover, both options are one and the same: (yes = no) = (yes ≠ no)."

1 hour ago, joigus said:

If they were, we might as well stop saying 'no' altogether. I don't think you want to do that.

Bob would say: "Yes, and that means that I do want do that, for wanting to is the same as wanting not to. Furthermore, to stop saying 'no' ist the same as to go on saying it, so of course I want to do that."

How do you answer Bob?

13 minutes ago, Tristan L said:

How do you answer Bob?

TBH, I would reply "F*ck you, Bob. Stop arguing in bad faith"

"affirmation and negation are indeed not the same thing"

The rest of this is logical error and fallacy. To assert yes=no, after one has affirmed that they are not equivalent, one is drawing an invalid conclusion and then using circular reasoning with anything that follows.

IOW, Bob's an idiot.

!

Moderator Note

And, I would like to point out, that shilling for a book is a violation of our rules (advertising) and posting with an agenda (that this was a setup to shill for your book) is a violation of our rule on good faith arguments.

Which is why this thread is now in the trash.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.