Deglazing pan with kinetic energy ?

Erina

36 minutes ago, Erina said:

I read online that the kinetic energy from cold liquid hitting a high temperature dry surface dislodges protein stuck to the base of the pan, in the process known as deglazing:

Is that right ?

No, that sounds wrong to me.

In cookery, deglazing a pan is the process of dissolving deposits from frying, roasting etc., generally with wine or vinegar best, to form the basis of a sauce or gravy. Nothing to do with kinetic energy. I do this regularly myself when I am cooking.

(In the context of diesel engine cylinder liners, deglazing involves renewing the cross-hatched honing pattern on the liners which retains the oil film, by carefully controlled mechanical abrasion. But that is nothing to do with pans or proteins.) 

Done it a few times very successfully with less amount of water than in the video onto older hot non-stick frying pans; but do not know if the name is deglazing, degreasing, other or none.

The explanation heard is the 'explosive' conversion from liquid to steam mechanically dislodging residues by steam expansion 

17 hours ago, Externet said:

Done it a few times very successfully with less amount of water than in the video onto older hot non-stick frying pans; but do not know if the name is deglazing, degreasing, other or none.

The explanation heard is the 'explosive' conversion from liquid to steam mechanically dislodging residues by steam expansion 

Yes, I'm sure that works. Possibly the rapid contraction of the surface may loosen whatever is stuck to it as well. 

However my understanding, as far as cookery is concerned, is a somewhat less violent process, often done after hot fat has been poured off, with the result that the pan is not far above 100C. Supplementary heating may have to be applied to make the deglazing liquid come to the boil. There is a description here, which fits my experience:

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-deglaze-10807 

22 minutes ago, Erina said:

Apologies, I don't know what my problem is.

That should have read : "So what is going on, are the solids dissolving into the liquid?"

Well, cookery being a messy process, scientifically speaking, there will a mixture of solids dissolving, the forming of suspensions of solids in liquid as fine particles, and also emulsions of fatty phase liquid in aqueous liquid. But the mechanical action @Externetmentions may also play a role in initially detaching the material from the surface of the pan.   

Edited by exchemist