Any data on IQ of varioust political ideology groups?

Even if there were, IQ measures are generally garbage. It’s understandable that some people like to point and laugh at people who think politically different than they do and call them dumb, but general intelligence is less relevant than how people identify themselves tribally, what information sources they trust, and how open they are to change and new experiences… and most importantly, whether they prioritize personal freedom and security versus shared security and the well-being of the greater group of neighbors… do they prioritize themselves as an individual or do they prioritize themselves as an important member of a larger group.

That’s more cultural than biological, and would be missed by simplistic views of IQ. You can’t generally tell a persons political beliefs based on general measures of intelligence. 

Yes,  most research I've seen points more to differences between party members and how they respond to strangers,  or to new ideas and situations.   There does seem to be a correlation between being Republican,  for example,  and having a larger amydala  and a stronger reaction (pupillary dilation,  BP,  respiration, adrenaline) to unfamiliar faces and situations.   (not going to dig it up,  but googling "amygdala republican" or similar should get it) 

As a common sense observation, I think many of us notice that personalities that value status quo and traditional approaches tend to register more anxiety about change and innovative ideas.   An official who steps up and says "Let's make things more like 1953" often gets a warmer reception from that personality.   Unless,  of course, the person was in a group that had to ride in the back of the bus and stay out of certain neighborhoods in 1953.  

I would say,  as a personal observation,  that it seems to me that empathy and social IQ do positively correlate.  And I do have my own opinion as to where the main locus of empathy is found on the political spectrum,  but will keep that out of this chat. 

The graphs I'v seen correlated party affiliation and educational level, which isn't at all the same thing as intelligence. 

I found one that you can use as a starting point. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0160289620300350

I'd approach it warily, however, as they seem to be looking for genetic factors.

Edited by Peterkin
caveat

I was not implying with my question that a person's politics can be reduced to their IQ and that's not something I believe. I'm just curious about whether there are differences.

5 hours ago, TheVat said:

I would say,  as a personal observation,  that it seems to me that empathy and social IQ do positively correlate.  And I do have my own opinion as to where the main locus of empathy is found on the political spectrum,  but will keep that out of this chat. 

I DEEPLY, DEEPLY appreciate that and commend you for it. In my view, keeping one's personal politics out of apolitical discussions (this topic is tangentially related to politics, but it is not politics that is the topic) is a matter of basic civility, yet it is violently violated constantly today. I've had people slap me over my political views in music reviews. Pardon the soapbox moment.

4 hours ago, Peterkin said:

The graphs I'v seen correlated party affiliation and educational level, which isn't at all the same thing as intelligence. 

I found one that you can use as a starting point. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0160289620300350

I'd approach it warily, however, as they seem to be looking for genetic factors.

Thank you!

Personally I abhore being catagorised and pidgeon holed, being whether I am Atheistic, leftish or rightish in my views, and how that aligns with IQ. My views are entirely based on what's best for the vast majority, whether that is left or right of the political spectrum. We have right wing ratbags, and their "F%$# you I'm alright Jack" that are obviously intelligent based on IQ, and we also have the extreme political correctness being pushed and sometimes undertaken by those that see them selves on the left. Both obviously see themselves as morally correct. Neither are.

Not sure what my IQ is now at the twilight of my life, but I do try and practise what is best for the majority, be that left, right, theistic or atheist, and that I believe [and hope] aligns with the scientific methodology. 

So endith the rantings of this old fart!

Edited by beecee