Can this cross the blood brain barrier if ingested?

SuitedPear

You'll have to forgive me, I have very little knowledge of biology. However, I read that a brain computer interface less that 50 nanometers in diamater could cross the blood brain barrier, but I am not sure if it is possible when it is ingested or if it has to be injected. 

If it is ingested, does anyone know if it could perform the same tasks? Thanks.

Here is the source article if anyone is interested: https://news.miami.edu/coe/stories/2020/11/connecting-mind-to-machine-university-of-miami-team-moving-forward-on-darpa-project-to-revolutionize-non-surgical-brain-computer-interface.html

Well, the BBB is an epithelial layer in capillaries, basically, that is semipermeable.  So, there's two ways across.  Passive diffusion, which just means small thing work their way through.  The other way is active transport, where special molecules help stuff like glucose and amino acids get across.  I'm assuming the nanoparticles get through the first way, by diffusion.  The epithelial cells have pretty tight junctions between them, and are very selective as to what they will let through, so your nanoparticles have to be small and inoffensive (e.g. they can't be pathogens that would endanger the neurons).  It seems highly probable these devices would be injected, given the rigors of going through the stomach and so on. 

1 hour ago, SuitedPear said:

If it is ingested, does anyone know if it could perform the same tasks?

No. Despite what many online political conversations would have you think, our poop isn’t actually connected to our brains