PROXIMA CENTURI , PROXIMA a AND PROXIMA b

asutoshjha

5 hours ago, asutoshjha said:

Proxima centuri the nearest star to earth.

how to calculate the distance?

what are proxima A and proxima B?

Not sure if giving answers is appropriate in the homework section.

There are various methods in calculating astronomical distances, based on how far away it is.....stellar paralex or triangulation, Ceipheid variables, and type 1a supernovas are three that come to mind. 

Your other question re Proxima Centauri A and B, needs some thought. Proxima Centauri is part of the Alpha Centauri system, the other two being Alpah Centauri A and B.

It is probably confusing somewhat, but there is no Proxima A, while there is Proxima b and c. Note! in lower case. I beleive you should google the rest, sorry.

Edited by beecee

Alpha Centauri, the brightest "star" in the constellation Centaur, turns out to be a lot more complicated that was thought!

What was called "Alpha Centauri" turned out to be a number of stars orbiting together.  What was called "Proxima Centauri" because it is (currently) closest to earth turned out to be, itself, a double star.  The two stars making up "Proxima Centauri" are called "Proxima A" and "Proxima B".

14 minutes ago, Country Boy said:

Alpha Centauri, the brightest "star" in the constellation Centaur, turns out to be a lot more complicated that was thought!

What was called "Alpha Centauri" turned out to be a number of stars orbiting together.  What was called "Proxima Centauri" because it is (currently) closest to earth turned out to be, itself, a double star.  The two stars making up "Proxima Centauri" are called "Proxima A" and "Proxima B".

Well, no. That is incorrect. I share  @beecee 's hesitancy to say too much, since that would be providing an answer in the Homework section. beeceee gave a nice clue - that also references why your post is incorrect - when he noted the lower case 'b' and 'c'. They are used to indicate something rather specific and it isn't that Proxima Centauri is a double star.

Hint :  Measure in June,  then in December,  then consider a triangle....  

Hint 2:  Hipparchus did it first,  albeit sloppily. 

Edited by TheVat
TMI

On 7/28/2021 at 9:44 AM, asutoshjha said:

Proxima centuri the nearest star to earth.

how to calculate the distance?

what are proxima A and proxima B?

I HAVE studied and article related to it, please verify it for me

Impression of Planet Proxima Centauri with New the stars, Centauri a and Centauri B - Information about  Proxima Centauri .

link removed by moderator

Edited by Phi for All
horrible article url removed

12 hours ago, asutoshjha said:

I HAVE studied and article related to it, please verify it for me

Impression of Planet Proxima Centauri with New the stars, Centauri a and Centauri B - Information about  Proxima Centauri .

link removed by moderator

The article you  have linked to is very poor quality. Why have you not at least gone to wikipedia, which is typically very reliable for basic facts like this? This would at least have answered half of your initial question. Since, I've now pointed you there I hope there is no harm in telling you what you will find. Proxima Centauri b and Proxima Centauri c are the names given to two planets that have been orbiting the star Proxima Centauri. @TheVathas not only given you hints to the second part of your question he has basically given you the answer - assuming you know basic trigonometry.

10 hours ago, Area54 said:

The article you  have linked to is very poor quality.

!

Moderator Note

I had to beat that article to death with a broom, then used another broom to sweep the first one away. What a stinker!

Asutoshjha, for homework purposes, the member's replies have actual science going for them. Which is nice.