What aspects of human society unites us?

beecee

8 hours ago, beecee said:

I respectfully suggest that you appear a half empty sort of bloke, while I prefer half full [more realistically probably 7/8 full].

Fair assessment. (Q. Which is more likely to start thinking about a refill before the bar closes?)

And again, seriously, it is not sport which is bad...it is not science which can be bad,

Where did I say that sport and science were "bad"? These are not things that exist in themselves or have any intrinsic value or quality - these are just activities in which people engage; what people do. (There isn't much evil you can do with music, but people still find a way to abuse it.)

On one more point, you misconstrue my statement replying to your missiles and solar panels....

Sorry!

I'm happy to learn that South Africa was united by sport. 

6 hours ago, Peterkin said:

I'm happy to learn that South Africa was united by sport. 

Just one example actually. Ever heard of the Indo/Pak express? They were a professional tennis team double, one Indian and hindu, the other Pakastani and muslim. They actually while playing together, promoted a campaign called "Stop War, Start Tennis” while their respective countries were at war.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/tennis/12/14/tennis.bopanna.qureshi.doubles/index.html

6 hours ago, Peterkin said:

Where did I say that sport and science were "bad"?

I didn't say you said they were bad. I'm simply countering your rhetorical comments that seem to concentrate on the false premise that sport does more harm then good, and which I strongly disagree with, with a number of examples that show the reverse actually applies.

If I have been too hard in illustrating that point, [it appears someone has given me a negative rep] and you being a newbie and all, then I apologise. 

Edited by beecee

1 hour ago, beecee said:

I'm simply countering your rhetorical comments that seem to concentrate on the false premise that sport does more harm then good,

If that's what you read, I have utterly failed to convey what I think.

If India and Pakistan were able to sublimate their hostility in tennis, and if  North and South Korea have reunited, those are excellent outcomes and I'll be happy to hear that more such reconciliations take place.  

Edited by Peterkin
add more words, of course

1 minute ago, Peterkin said:

If that's what you read, I have utterly failed to convey what I think.

Not sure who is at fault there, but my position simply is, that sports are in the main good for you in many ways, including [as per my many examples] unifification of people, and nations etc, be that amateur or professional. Of course like any human endeavour/venture/pastime, there are some who misuse and abuse it.

The title of this thread is "What aspect of human society unites us" Sport is one of those.

2 minutes ago, beecee said:

"What aspect of human society unites us" Sport is one of those.

Indeed, that's the only aspect of human society on which you have focused throughout, except for the references to "science". I agree that you have made your conviction on this topic perfectly clear. 

There are of course other aspects that unite humanity...extreme human endeavour and/or conquest in conjunction with science being one. The first that comes to mind being the first man made Satellite, Sputnik...then Yuri Gagarin being the first man in space...these were followed by the Apollo 11 and the Moon landing. Then obviously the near disaster with Apollo X111. All of course science related. The ISS is currently still an International effort. 

And as I have said a few times on this forum, the efforts to put boots on Mars, would I believe, be substantially improved and brought forward by an International co-operative effort and undertaking. 

Edited by beecee

A new sport to the Olympics is skate boarding. It was a real heart warming moment this arvo, when the finals in the skate boarding women's event was decided. Bronxe medalist a 13 year old British lass!! Silver went to an even younger Japanese girl at 12 years of age...The Gold went to Japan also, to an oldie at 21 years old!!

The embracing between these children after the event was what makes the Olympics the spectacle it is and always will be. 

Japan's Sakura Yosozumi (center) and Kokona Hiraki (left) celebrate after winning gold and silver, respectively, in the Women's Skateboarding Park Finals at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games at Ariake Urban Sports Park on August 4, 2021. Sky Brown of Team Great Britain won bronze. 

Japan's Sakura Yosozumi (center) and Kokona Hiraki (left) celebrate after winning gold and silver, respectively, in the Women's Skateboarding Park Finals at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games at Ariake Urban Sports Park on August 4, 2021. Sky Brown of Team Great Britain won bronze.

Edited by beecee

Well the games are nearly over...still having the equally awe inspiring examples of human endurance and skill with the upcoming paralympics to go!

Congratulations to all athletes and their teams, and a hearty congratulations to Japan for pulling this off without any notable incidents, in dificult times.

5 hours ago, beecee said:

Well the games are nearly over..

I actually watched a replay of the womens' soccer final. Pretty good - the MLS guys could learn something - but a game decided on penalty kicks doesn't really feel like a victory. I'd have been happy to call it a draw. But you can't do that in international competition.

7 hours ago, Peterkin said:

I actually watched a replay of the womens' soccer final. Pretty good - the MLS guys could learn something - but a game decided on penalty kicks doesn't really feel like a victory. I'd have been happy to call it a draw. But you can't do that in international competition.

I actually feel the same way about penality kicks deciding a game...extra time? which is what happens in RL...extra 5 minutes either way.

The penalty kicks don't start until after two additional 15-minute periods still haven't produced a tie-breaker. Another alternative is sudden-death overtime, but in 30 degree heat, that could well turn literal. With penalty kicks, you're sure to get a tie-breaker in a relatively short time.

1 hour ago, Peterkin said:

The penalty kicks don't start until after two additional 15-minute periods still haven't produced a tie-breaker. Another alternative is sudden-death overtime, but in 30 degree heat, that could well turn literal. With penalty kicks, you're sure to get a tie-breaker in a relatively short time.

One day we'll find a fair way to decide a game; in the mean time, all we can do is learn to live with it...

Edited by dimreepr

10 hours ago, Peterkin said:

I'd be perfectly content with a tied score, or no scoring at all. For me, playing is more important than winning - and losing just sucks. But then, what would they do with all those big ugly trophies and medals? 

Sure, playing any sport is more important then winning, and teaches us certain desired human values. And we can also learn a lot from losing in sport.  In time we all get beat, or have our records broken. 

I also do have a handful of those ugly trophies and medals, from when I was a tin lid, and they have pride of place in my home.  

Sport certainly unites in frienship and comradary, and at the same time, honing our competitive skills and the benefits derived from that.

I was once asked a question with reference to Rugby League, the game I played and loved, but applicable to any sporting team contest, "Who would win the game; a team of champions, or a champion team" My answer was without doubt, the champion team, but realising that any team of champions, will probably develop into a champion team over time.  That is if, like any sportsman, they have the will to win. 

Edited by beecee

• 3 weeks later...

Watching the Paralympics....Awe inspiring on so many levels!!!😲

Specifically a one legged cyclist in the velodrome! Not sure how he maintaned balance...the the wheel chair rugby...Holy shit!!! talk about kamikaze efforts [Aust vs Japanese game!! Literally throwing there wheel chairs at each other...and get this, men and women together!!!

Human spirit, ability and determination at its most thrilling!!!

7 hours ago, beecee said:

Watching the Paralympics....Awe inspiring on so many levels!!!😲

Specifically a one legged cyclist in the velodrome! Not sure how he maintaned balance...the the wheel chair rugby...Holy shit!!! talk about kamikaze efforts [Aust vs Japanese game!! Literally throwing there wheel chairs at each other...and get this, men and women together!!!

Human spirit, ability and determination at its most thrilling!!!

I must say at this time, I am unaware of the exact rules that apply in the wheel chair rugby, but it seems it is based on some point system that aligns with the actual disability of the individual. Will check that out tomorrow.