Time Travel (split from The Schrödinger's cat thought experiment proves there is no God)

11 hours ago, exchemist said:

Yes this criticism has a point.

It seems to me that the deepest mystery of all about the universe is where the order in it (what we call the "laws of nature", though actually the laws are just our models of the order, as we perceive it) comes from.  As far as science can go , it "just is". We have to accept it as a given. 

Rather interestingly, it seems that, to Einstein and Spinoza, this order effectively is what we commonly call "God".

So what are thoughts on time travel?

17 minutes ago, MerieuxMarylandPfeifield said:

So what are thoughts on time travel?

This thread is not about time travel. If you wish to discuss time travel you should open your own thread on that topic.

15 minutes ago, zapatos said:

This thread is not about time travel. If you wish to discuss time travel you should open your own thread on that topic.

Everything is about time travel. For instance, your very own continuity of consciousness has a perspective trough time. Flip that perspective and you have split personality, which is a psychological condition. So you see, all of these things are related to the au current crisis of discussion.

1 minute ago, Phi for All said:
!

Moderator Note

Posts on time travel split to this thread in Speculations. 

Recommend trash can instead since it’s not really a speculation, but is instead a hijack asking other people their thoughts on time travel 

9 minutes ago, Conscious Energy said:

Physically impossible

Not really. We all travel forward though time at the rate of one second per second within our local frame of reference. We just need our disruptive friend to ask smarter more focused questions. 

AFAIK there is no mathematical reason why time travel into the past is not possible (someone may correct me on this).

I think the issue is maybe more around the causality aspect. Essentially unless some rules are introduced, like splitting timelines, multiverses etc... then going back in time creates paradoxes, the "grandfather paradox" probably being the most popular one. Where time travelling into the past may allow effect to precede cause, which violates logic and the laws of nature.  e.g. You go back in time and kill your grandfather, which prevents you being born, which stops you going back in time to kill your grandfather...

Obviously if time travel was possible then there would have to be some mechanism to prevent paradoxes happening, hence timeline splits, or multiverses,  or no matter how you attempt to change the past something happens to prevent it etc... 

15 hours ago, Intoscience said:

AFAIK there is no mathematical reason why time travel into the past is not possible (someone may correct me on this).

I think the issue is maybe more around the causality aspect. Essentially unless some rules are introduced, like splitting timelines, multiverses etc... then going back in time creates paradoxes, the "grandfather paradox" probably being the most popular one. Where time travelling into the past may allow effect to precede cause, which violates logic and the laws of nature.  e.g. You go back in time and kill your grandfather, which prevents you being born, which stops you going back in time to kill your grandfather...

Obviously if time travel was possible then there would have to be some mechanism to prevent paradoxes happening, hence timeline splits, or multiverses,  or no matter how you attempt to change the past something happens to prevent it etc... 

In some cases you might be able to hoodwink the Universe.

Jump to the past far enough away and the butterfly effect can't spread back to create paradoxes/loops/etc.

Inside event horizons should be somewhat sheltered regions too.

45 minutes ago, Endy0816 said:

In some cases you might be able to hoodwink the Universe.

Jump to the past far enough away and the butterfly effect can't spread back to create paradoxes/loops/etc.

Inside event horizons should be somewhat sheltered regions too.

You could go back into the past and have no direct impact on your own timeline which would have prevented you going back, so no issues there. It's rather the possibility that you might alter the past to change the future in a way that prevents you going back in the first place which is the problem. These are the paradoxes that would violate causality, so logically there should be some mechanism to prevent the paradoxes happening, or time travel into the past is just impossible.

4 hours ago, Intoscience said:

You could go back into the past and have no direct impact on your own timeline which would have prevented you going back, so no issues there. It's rather the possibility that you might alter the past to change the future in a way that prevents you going back in the first place which is the problem. These are the paradoxes that would violate causality, so logically there should be some mechanism to prevent the paradoxes happening, or time travel into the past is just impossible.

As far as  we know, Causality is limited to the speed of light. So might be able to avoid paradoxes in some cases.

On 6/30/2021 at 8:49 AM, Intoscience said:

I suppose the only way to know is to test it.

So, let's get lean beef patty to knock on my 🚪

13 minutes ago, MerieuxMarylandPfeifield said:

I suppose the only way to know is to test it.

So, let's get lean beef patty to knock on my 🚪

!

Moderator Note

I split this tangent off to give you an opportunity to explain your interest. If you have none, or don't wish to discuss the science involved, I can close the thread. It's up to you to support your ideas here, and I don't think this post is really trying. More rigor, please.

1 minute ago, Phi for All said:
!

Moderator Note

I split this tangent off to give you an opportunity to explain your interest. If you have none, or don't wish to discuss the science involved, I can close the thread. It's up to you to support your ideas here, and I don't think this post is really trying. More rigor, please.

Who do you think you are compared to me

I swap you like a fly

5 minutes ago, MerieuxMarylandPfeifield said:

I swap you like a fly

Thank you for reminding me how even ridiculous children can post dumb things on the internet 

And you meant swat, not swap. 

4 minutes ago, MerieuxMarylandPfeifield said:

Yeah

I hold the key. A secret 🗝️

!

Moderator Note

Then perhaps you can unlock this closed thread?

Don't bring this subject up again until you're ready to discuss science.