COVID Mandatory vaccinations

Kartazion

COVID Mandatory vaccinations?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of COVID-19 Mandatory vaccinations?

• Yes
    • No
    • I do not know / Maybe

More information needed. Mandatory for whom? Who’s mandating them? Under what conditions does the mandate apply? Are there exceptions? If so, who approves and confirms qualification for exception? What are the penalties for noncompliance? Which vaccine is being mandated? Who pays for them? Is a single does sufficient, or are booster shots mandatory, too?

3 minutes ago, iNow said:

More information needed. Mandatory for whom? Who’s mandating them? Under what conditions does the mandate apply? Are there exceptions? If so, who approves and confirms qualification for exception? What are the penalties for noncompliance? Which vaccine is being mandated? Who pays for them? Is a single does sufficient, or are booster shots mandatory, too?

This is a simple question. Not an alert.

But to answer you it depends on which government will apply it, and on who.

Italy makes COVID-19 vaccine mandatory for all health workers

Attitudes on voluntary and mandatory vaccination against COVID-19: Evidence from Germany

England to make COVID-19 vaccinations compulsory for care workers

COVID-19 and mandatory vaccination: Ethical considerations and caveats

How a court ruling lays the ground for mandatory COVID-19 vaccination

47 minutes ago, Kartazion said:

But to answer you it depends

And because it depends, I cannot answer your question. It is far from a simple question no matter how forcefully you assert otherwise. 

12 minutes ago, iNow said:

And because it depends, I cannot answer your question. It is far from a simple question no matter how forcefully you assert otherwise. 

As simple as that:

The Guardian More than 75% of Australians support compulsory Covid vaccines for aged care staff

But the OP is based on compulsory vaccination of all types of people too.

Generally speaking, I support mandatory vaccinations for all, unless exempted because of a medical condition or other valid reason, as confirmed by the local government authority under strict medical advice. 

What penalties would be involved I can't really say at this time, but in Australia in certain states, parents of children that fail to get their child vaccinated as per recommendations, can be refused daycare and kindergarten services.

There maybe other reasons or situations that may require exemptions and those can be looked at by the appropriate agency.

As another example, our national airline QANTAS is proposing when International travel reopens, that all passengers would need to show a valid certificate of vaccination, or boarding will be refused.

It's really the only way we are going to beat this insideous thing.

BTW Sydney where I am is in total lockdown for two weeks [unless dramatic improvement and/or eventual elimination of cases is observed which may change if medically advised] We had 18 new cases over the last 24 hrs.

Edited by beecee

Turn it the other way around - if healthcare workers refuse vaccination and they become a vector for Covid transmission, should they be legally liable for medical/funeral/other expenses of those who get sick as a result? Should their employers face legal sanctions for failure to insist on vaccination?

Seems to me there are duties of care that override any personal "free" choice.

• 2 months later...
32 minutes ago, Alex_Krycek said:

This issue will go to the Supreme Court in the US, in my view.  Too many legal principles at stake that need to be sorted out.

Already did, in 1905

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobson_v._Massachusetts

The Supreme Court reaffirmed its decision in Jacobson in Zucht v. King (1922), which held that a school system could refuse admission to a student who failed to receive a required vaccination

On 6/28/2021 at 3:01 PM, beecee said:

As another example, our national airline QANTAS is proposing when International travel reopens, that all passengers would need to show a valid certificate of vaccination, or boarding will be refused.

Many companies now, and government orginizations are giving a time limit for their employees to be fully vaccinated, otherwise they get the chop.

On 6/28/2021 at 3:01 PM, beecee said:

BTW Sydney where I am is in total lockdown for two weeks [unless dramatic improvement and/or eventual elimination of cases is observed which may change if medically advised] We had 18 new cases over the last 24 hrs.

And those cases have grown to in excess of a 1000 every day over the last week.