Hyperspectral imaging system

fredreload

So first thing first, I took a look at the hyperspectral imaging page from Wikipedia(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperspectral_imaging) and as most of you know it is s system that utilizes Raman laser(laser reflection) and spectrometer. Now what is interesting is this time I found an application call thermal imaging in the same page in the Wikipedia page produced by a Specim LWIR hyperspectral imager.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/77/Specim_aisaowl_outdoor.png

Now thermal imaging is quite common that utilizes the infrared light. Now the question is I am unsure on is how the hyperspectral image is produced because technically the infrared light goes through objects, so if I want to see through a person or a car I would have to utilize a time scale, possibly with the Fourier transform equation. So this is my first question on how they obtained a 2D image from a 3D imaging system. Below is a link to the Specim hyperspectral imager.

https://www.specim.fi/downloads/Spectral_Cameras_LWIR_ver2-16.pdf

Now the second question is I want to combine this hyperspectral imaging system with a zoom in effect. Now as you know if I want to magnify an object I would use a lens, but for infrared I might need a different material for the lens since the wavelength is different. But in the end a CCD camera records the spectra of the sample, so if the equipment is sensitive enough, I might not have to magnify the infrared wavelength of light using special infrared optic material. This is question number 2. Below is a link to the ccd camera.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10106040308542274

On further investigation I found this (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_broom_scanner). If someone could explain to me how it works.

Edited by fredreload

17 minutes ago, fredreload said:

Now the question is I am unsure on is how the hyperspectral image is produced because technically the infrared light goes through objects

It does what?

Not unless they are transparent at the wavelength in question.

So this is my first question on how they obtained a 2D image from a 3D imaging system.

You ignore the third dimension, or incorporate the info in the image. You do realize the 3rd “dimension” is wavelength, right?

“There are four basic techniques for acquiring the three-dimensional (x,y,λ) dataset of a hyperspectral cube.”

In this sense a regular photo is a 3D image.

5 minutes ago, swansont said:

It does what?

Not unless they are transparent at the wavelength in question.

You ignore the third dimension, or incorporate the info in the image. You do realize the 3rd “dimension” is wavelength, right?

“There are four basic techniques for acquiring the three-dimensional (x,y,λ) dataset of a hyperspectral cube.”

In this sense a regular photo is a 3D image.

Here this video says that the hyperspectral imager requires a line scan. I mean does that slit contains the information of the entire leaf or do you need to scan it? And a thermal image camera does not require a line scan I think? This does not add up.

Edited by fredreload

4 minutes ago, fredreload said:

Here this video says that the hyperspectral imager requires a line scan. I mean does that slit contains the information of the entire leaf or do you need to scan it? And a thermal image camera does not require a line scan I think?

Did you read you own wikipedia link?

You need multiple pieces of information per pixel to get the image. The link explains ways to do this.

This does not add up.

Meaning your understanding is incomplete

5 minutes ago, swansont said:

Did you read you own wikipedia link?

You need multiple pieces of information per pixel to get the image. The link explains ways to do this.

Meaning your understanding is incomplete

See there is no slit in this one = =. I think the lined scan idea is metaphorical to the data array of the greyscale camera. How about the second question?

1 hour ago, fredreload said:

Raman laser(laser reflection)

The Raman effect is not reflection.

That image is neither a reflection, nor a Raman image.

It's not clear that you have enough understanding to ask good questions here.

YT videos can be a great way to learn stuff, or they can be so "dumbed down" as to be useless.
You probably need to expand your list of sources.

Edited by John Cuthber

Here this video says that the hyperspectral imager requires a line scan.

That’s how that imager works

See there is no slit in this one = =. I think the lined scan idea is metaphorical to the data array of the greyscale camera

Your link describes multiple imaging methods. You should read it more carefully. 

On further investigation I found this (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_broom_scanner). If someone could explain to me how it works.

“The moving scanner line in a traditional photocopier (or a scanner or facsimile machine) is also a familiar, everyday example of a push broom scanner.”

Maybe you could read the links you post

55 minutes ago, swansont said:

That’s how that imager works

Your link describes multiple imaging methods. You should read it more carefully. 

“The moving scanner line in a traditional photocopier (or a scanner or facsimile machine) is also a familiar, everyday example of a push broom scanner.”

Maybe you could read the links you post

About the video I posted regarding thermal imaging. The idea is to have a "sensitive sensor" capable of trapping and reading infrared wavelength(That is where the CCD camera comes in). An analogy would be the eye and the retina and how we see visible light. To answer your question, a light wave does not exhibit a 3 dimensional structure, but the timing does.

https://midopt.com/solutions/monochrome-imaging/infrared-imaging/

Edited by fredreload

12 hours ago, fredreload said:

About the video I posted regarding thermal imaging. The idea is to have a "sensitive sensor" capable of trapping and reading infrared wavelength

That’s how these systems work 

That is where the CCD camera comes in

That will work with NIR but not thermal. Si cutoff is ~1.1 microns

To answer your question, a light wave does not exhibit a 3 dimensional structure, but the timing does.

I asked a question about this?