U.S. Military Personnel Spilled Nuclear Secrets in Online Flashcards...

empleat

We are currently 100 seconds to midnight, closer than ever before... https://thebulletin.org/doomsday-clock/current-time/ And yet then things like these happen...

News like this makes me question, whether or not I Am even real... Insane, unbelievable: https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7ebmd/us-military-personnel-spilled-nuclear-secrets-in-online-flashcards

How anyone with that level of intelligence gets to even work there and bellingcat has to warn NATO about it is beyond me... Took LSD on the job LOL, ok I guess... At this rate they could deploy monkeys to handle their nuclear stockpile and let them press random buttons... What an utter travesty...

Also we were close to World War 3 many times, only because 1 officer didn't authorize nuclear strike, we are still here LOL... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_III#Historical_close_calls

And we are speeding towards global warning about 1.5 celsius by 2025, chances just doubled to 40% from last year predictions https://gizmodo.com/were-speeding-toward-climate-hell-un-warns-1846982156

Corporations don't care, all they can understand is to make more money, that's literary their only metric for value of anything... Fossil fuels companies spend 10 times more on lobbying than activists... And still not enough is done... It is very complicated and politicians and bureaucracy move slowly...

Also natural disasters can exacerbate inequality, as we could see with Covid-19: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy/making-sense/how-natural-disasters-can-increase-inequality

Life is ultra pointless, we are just going to die and it will be probably sooner, than later...

I also don't know why so many politicians in US are religious... They say let go help us all, good luck to you all and just hope and pray LOL... Honestly life is absurd beyond belief... If you don't have depression you are just delusional, or sadomasochist...

Like I don't even...

43 minutes ago, empleat said:

also don't know why so many politicians in US are religious

30 minutes ago, swansont said:

They aren’t. They pretend to be, on one or two issues, in order to pander to their base.

Even if one stipulates that politicians in the US are religious, clearly the other answer is the US is a representative governance system and voters feel those representatives represent them.

That said, I tend more to agree with swansonts core point here. One could say he represents my view. 

47 minutes ago, empleat said:

Life is ultra pointless, we are just going to die and it will be probably sooner, than later...

There’s a certain beauty in this realization. It means we’re lucky and have a chance to explore and learn and be a part of something bigger than ourselves, even if only temporarily. If that depresses you, you should consider seeking help from a medical professional. 

‘We can lament the fact that rose bushes have thorns, or we can rejoice about the fact that the thorn bushes have roses.’ Perspective. 

11 minutes ago, iNow said:

‘We can lament the fact that rose bushes have thorns, or we can rejoice about the fact that the thorn bushes have roses.’ Perspective. 

Indeed, perspective is the answer, it's like asking; why does magic matter??? 

10 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

it's like asking; why does magic matter?

Bc It helps us to better understand the common blind spots we all have in our own minds in an entertaining and engaging way.

Also, in the spirit of James Randi… there are no magicians. Only conjurers and illusionists and hucksters. /tangent

IIRC, the 'doomsday clock' originally ( since 1945 ? ) considered only nuclear armageddon, but now includes many other threats to human existence.
These other threats, such as Global Warming, global viral Pandemics, water and food shortages, etc., not only add to each other, and the overall threat level, but some of the threats are 'caused' by some of the others.
Overall, the OP seems a 'glass half empty' excuse for a rant.

8 hours ago, empleat said:

Now is not the time for people to 'lose their sh*t'; it is a time for deliberate and calculated decisions.
With a little 'glass is half full' optimism, good will, and the right decisions, this truly is a wonderful time to be alive.

14 hours ago, MigL said:

Now is not the time for people to 'lose their sh*t'; it is a time for deliberate and calculated decisions.
With a little 'glass is half full' optimism, good will, and the right decisions, this truly is a wonderful time to be alive.

Indeed, we are ever closer to doomsday because, we're more afraid of a little discomfort tomorrow, than we're afraid of an abstract hypothesis today. 

Maybe we need a little magic?

Edited by dimreepr

52 minutes ago, Endy0816 said:

Pretty much a fact that people inadvertently leak info all the time. Better just to sensibly manage the problem, than think it possible to prevent.

You get training on this if you are in a position where you might inadvertently leak. The sensible management here will likely involve in revocation of clearances, and quite possibly discharged/fired, if they catch the perpetrators 

3 hours ago, swansont said:

You get training on this if you are in a position where you might inadvertently leak. The sensible management here will likely involve in revocation of clearances, and quite possibly discharged/fired, if they catch the perpetrators 

Yeah, that's the limit of what you can do though.

This is the eighth modern accidental leak, I've either seen or heard of. All I can muster in response is a shrug.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2021 at 3:20 PM, iNow said:

There’s a certain beauty in this realization. It means we’re lucky and have a chance to explore and learn and be a part of something bigger than ourselves, even if only temporarily.

Only thing which is beautiful to me is unknown, Einstein said I Am paraphrasing: "unknown is most beautiful thing men can experience". Lucky? Don't know about that! Can't respond to that, as these informations are Information Hazards - no human being should be forced to know these things! But you know what, BTW I asked mod to delete that thread! "Something bigger than ourselves" - is usually a coping mechanism people come with like: I want to achieve something greater than myself and to think it weren't all for nothing... After I die, I won't have a functioning brain, it becomes irrelevant what I achieved in life! I think only rational/logical thing in life should be maximize pleasure for yourself and for other people, as long as it affects you, however sad it is and I don't like it!

On 5/31/2021 at 3:36 PM, dimreepr said:

Indeed, perspective is the answer, it's like asking; why does magic matter??? 

I hear that a lot: it is all about perspective... But what if you have already truthful perspective?! I think you mean interpreting truth by using another perspective, which would be than delusion! If it was so easy as changing perspective, do you think I would have still depression and was bored to death? I have ADHD, it is not like: I Am not trying to see things from all perspectives that exist...

I tried all perspectives I could find in Philosophy (believe me I tried soo hard) - didn't help at all! ADs, psychotherapy - did literally nothing! I don't know how I would put this, as it is extremely complicated to put this in words! I would have to write an essay about this: for you to get the exact information precisely, as words compress information too much! But it is not like perspective on Free Will would make me feel any better, if I know: I Am a prisoner in space-time and slave and my actions are not of my own!

Let me explain: I suffer from extreme existential boredom, nothing entertains me more than watching a wall almost, I Am constantly bored no matter what! I think it is: because I Am "authentic"! I saw over 10k TV Shows and almost every human interaction - not really, but tons! And read over million articles about everything that exists! E.g. there are studies that people watching Sci-fi TV Shows judge relations more realistically! I got huge insight into things! While I Am very reserved, some things are hypotheses, working theories, theories, facts, logical deductions based on empirical observations/facts. I don't claim anything on 100%, which makes it difficult to talk about it! As we can't know anything except: I think therefore I Am - for sure!

Philosophers argue we try to escape constantly meaningless, which facilitates as boredom. And you are bored, it is because you see things how they truly are and that life is meaningless etc. as boredom can be also sign of depression, but it is not always caused by depression! It is hard for other people to see truth! But I have ASD, I don't include emotions into my reasoning (I have studies about this) and I Am extremely logical, critical, rational thinker!!! I have lots of empirical proofs for many things! Also claiming like boredom is all because meaninglessness, because it is not, boredom can be from millions of things literally! I have boredom from many reasons, mostly from meaninglessness and Free Will, I Am confident because these things depress me most and I Am think most about them... I have decent Philosophical, evolutionary and Psychological understanding of this!  But I don't have definitive proof ofc. that my boredom is from meaninglessness, as I would have to literally pinpoint mechanisms behind it in the brain...

Still prominent Philosophers think so. And it is logical! Also statistical studies, which aren't perfect, but precise to a point observe this: like lower ability of critical thinking in religious people. More examples later...

This document outlines existential boredom precisely: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/301683980_Existential_Boredom_Re-examined_Boredom_as_Authenticity_and_Life-Affirmation

Boredom and depression is more than just perspective, or view. It is emotional reaction based on informations one gathers - I think. There can be only one truth, unless QM makes it so we have both Free Will and not Free Will at the same time :D But we are not observing such things!

More insights about boredom: https://iep.utm.edu/boredom/#H4

I have experienced all kinds of boredom you can find there, literally everything! It is crazy if you think about it! Because I see things truly how they are and I try to escape boredom by fantasizing and other things, which is exactly described here and it fits all so perfectly like puzzles to so many things! You must admit it is crazy, I felt boredom of all reasons literally Philosophers and Psychiatrists talk of... Which would support view, that my existential boredom is caused from seeing things how they truly are and because meaninglessness, society we live in, no objective ethics and plethora of other stuff! I was bored exactly by these things! I Am probably most bored person in the world, not even kidding! Certainly more bored than some prisoners! A lot of prominent philosophers were battling depression and boredom! It is truly one of worst feelings in the world! To give example to better understand this: even if I saved 100 children from painful death, I did nothing, as I don't have Free Will. I couldn't feel any sense of accomplishment, or happiness for that deed! As it is not good thing to do, it is just optimal for survival of human race... I could give like million examples about every emotion and human interaction and analyze it to details. If you truly think about everything that exists...

About depression: https://philosophicalsociety.com/Archives/Philosophy And Depression.htm

What concerns meaniglessness , let me give you some scenarios:

1. life is pointless

2. there is a point

a) for us, but we don't see it

b) it is not about us

1.  Perspective doesn't change the fact that there is no objective meaning from current understanding! We can still find our own meaning, which is just a subjective coping mechanism, but it is not real! As it is not verified by anything external, it is just subjective emotion!

Existentialism doesn't work for me because:

• Free Will is illusion, so many people suffer for nothing essentially and are trapped in spacetime-like prison, e.g. if someone loves you. If you didn't deserve it and that person was essentially pre-programmed to do so, it feels shitty to me! Or only because you have superior genes than someone else, otherwise that person wouldn't love you! You did nothing to acquire them! Which doesn't carry any virtues, or doesn't deserve any praise! You got better coinflipp than someone else, woah so riveting! It is just absurd! Love is conditional and soo empty... But human beings need social contact like friends and partner, as friends are not a substitute for that! But I could never ever love someone, when I know how it works! It feels so shitty!
  • There are no objective ethics, no good, or evil! Everything just is... Ethics are just rules people make by arguing between themselves for survival, which stems from emotions! It doesn't matter, if you are a good person, or a bad person! It is pointless to help other people and be nice to other people and do anything for other people beyond threshold, which is necessary for your survival, or survival of civilization, which you need for your own survival to a certain point! E.g. like if 10 people are in group, why would you share food with them and not keep it for yourself logically?! Because if you need them for survival, it is optimal to share...
  • Altruism is selfish, there is higher chance that people help you back, if you help them, because they get moral emotions. But again you do that, because there is chance they will help you back, not because it is a good thing (I mean morally). It is just about survival! And it makes you feel good, which motivates you to do it. E.g. good example is religion, religious people donate more to charity, or try to be moral, because they want to get to heaven. They are doing that for reward essentially, not because they would be good people! Evolution and game theory explains this well and evolution is well understood! Besides there are no other reasons for anyone to help anyone, except for survival!
  • People are selfish and tend to do what makes them happy
  • People are not much better than just wild animals living in a jungle murdering each other

Besides it feels so shitty to me, because I know even if I do something for other people, it is not real!

2. a) Well that would be stupid, if there was a point for us to satisfy, but we wouldn't know about it. That would be absurd! Or we would be slaves to it...

2. b) We are here just for the ride, which is kinda depressing itself, because people tend to put themselves to the center. And if you are just collateral in this cruel world, that feels pretty shitty... You are nothing to universe, or to whatever...

Honestly I don't think, I would like, even if there would be some firmly set meaning! I hate everything! Because it would be slavery kinda. Who decided that it has to be like this and for it to be fair, or good? Best would be Free Will in meaningless world and people trying to do their best! Than morality would have meaning and our actions, because it would amount to something. But Free Will is impossible! It is not even imaginable, how could that be?!

Honestly I don't even care about point, more than about Free Will. At least our actions would mean something and if there were objective ethics! Or we could try to improve ourselves. But even if we had Free Will: other people could force their Free Will on us, so that wouldn't be Free Will paradoxically! Even acknowledging Free Will leads to a paradox! And acknowledging some sort of cause, because if one person prevailed over another, how that was determined? By his will? But what decides his will was greater? When there is a conflict of interest? Which begs the question and implies cause! Which than you need to get behind cause of a cause Ad Infinitum until singularity! Because life is just who from whom and it is predetermined. Life is honestly like some sadists watching gladiators for fun, yes that's really life! It is like throw people into the world and watch them murder each other...

I think truth just goes against our biological nature, as we tend seek meaning! And create ethics for survival. What is good for survival feels as pleasure and the opposite as pain. But if you realize, it is not "authentic" that we are just slaves and trying to survive in the cruel world, it is worst feeling in the world! There are studies, that people with positive delusions are more happy, or that religious people are bored less when doing mundane tasks!

Problem is people are incredibly biased and delusional - for their own good! There is a theory, if you see things how they truly are, if it is not beneficial for survival, you will not survive! https://bigthink.com/videos/donald-hoffman-reality So evolution possibly hides truths from us, if they are not beneficial for survival!

Conclusion: same I Am forced to live and make the world a better place by one hypothesis, I Am not sure, but I Am not gonna risk it! As consequences are unimaginable and just reading about it makes them happen to you, so I can't judge its veracity! And suicide doesn't counter other 2 dreadful hypotheses/theories anyways! So it makes sense from perspective of survival for me: to be as much happy as possible and experience most pleasure as possible and lowest pain and help other people to do the same. Even it is not gonna happen probably, I could be never happy, I don't think! Only to experience pleasure... While I think, people could negotiate better ethics in theory. Like if 2 people gonna be stranded on a boat without food, they don't murder each other, we will die together! But in reality, extreme pain would cause people to kill each other. Because they couldn't take it. Life will be always shitty in some scenarios... So I will have always depression at some level!

On 5/31/2021 at 11:36 PM, MigL said:

IIRC, the 'doomsday clock' originally ( since 1945 ? ) considered only nuclear armageddon, but now includes many other threats to human existence.
These other threats, such as Global Warming, global viral Pandemics, water and food shortages, etc., not only add to each other, and the overall threat level, but some of the threats are 'caused' by some of the others.
Overall, the OP seems a 'glass half empty' excuse for a rant.

I posted this initially with intent to share interesting news, but than I remember from 1 thing about another thing and so on... It doesn't matter how you call it, these things are true problems! There is 20% chance humanity will die off til 2100. And it doesn't seem good the way world looks right now! Inequality is increasing, neo-libs and globalists trying to destroy the world, corporations want to enslave us, not enough is done about global warming, people still have long way to go to abolish wars... We have facts: it is not looking good for humanity right now! I just have strong need for speaking truth!

On 6/1/2021 at 9:51 PM, swansont said:

That surprises me, it is such a serious matter! I would expect them to go to prison at least! It is also clear failure of giving clearances in the first place and security checks! Given someone did even LSD on the job OMEGALUL!!! I would make strict requirements for people working there:

- very stable personality

- high IQ and intelligence

- logical, critical, rational thinking skills

- no family (so they can't be blackmailed)

- high treshold for pain

- patriotism, responsibility, respect to authority

- 24/7 monitoring of all vital functions and brain waves

- random lie detector tests

- having to report dreams and every thought

- living in highly secret bunker never going outside of it, after end of service, memory deletion and surveillance

-  maybe recognition (otherwise keeping identity in a secret), job recommendations, high pay

- service like for 4 year period

I Am overexaggerating, but clearly this article uncovers some serious problems in this job! And there is no room for errors with nukes. So getting chance to become officer later, or higher pay, or recognition and making job less stressful and boring seem like reasonable things to improve.

On 6/1/2021 at 8:55 PM, Endy0816 said:

Pretty much a fact that people inadvertently leak info all the time. Better just to sensibly manage the problem, than think it possible to prevent.

This is beyond inadvertently, nuclear secrets posted online to a training app with profile set to "publicly visible"? How that even happens OMEGALUL??? It kinda reaffirms my belief in Quantum Mechanism that every possibility is realized. Everything which is not forbidden by rules will happen! I still don't understand how anyone can be that stupid to do that... Also there was even case officer doing LSD on the job and long history of cheating, because they have to score 100% on monthly tests! Or they lose their job. And their job is boring! Also they don't have high hopes for promotion and not enough recognition for doing such an important job!

55 minutes ago, empleat said:

I want to achieve something greater than myself

An admirable ambition. For now, however, let’s just start by being coherent 

Or at least succinct 

1 hour ago, empleat said:

That surprises me, it is such a serious matter! I would expect them to go to prison at least! It is also clear failure of giving clearances in the first place and security checks! Given someone did even LSD on the job OMEGALUL!!! I would make strict requirements for people working there:

- very stable personality

- high IQ and intelligence

- logical, critical, rational thinking skills

- no family (so they can't be blackmailed)

that last one is probably illegal

- high treshold for pain

irrelevant

- patriotism, responsibility, respect to authority

Government workers take an oath, but some don’t take it seriously

- 24/7 monitoring of all vital functions and brain waves

This can’t be a serious proposal

- random lie detector tests

Some positions require lie detector despite them being famously unreliable 

- having to report dreams and every thought

- living in highly secret bunker never going outside of it, after end of service, memory deletion and surveillance

These can’t be taken seriously 

I Am overexaggerating,

Clearly

but clearly this article uncovers some serious problems in this job! And there is no room for errors with nukes. So getting chance to become officer later, or higher pay, or recognition and making job less stressful and boring seem like reasonable things to improve.

Less stressful and less boring seem to be contrary goals.

Everything which is not forbidden by rules will happen

Even stuff forbidden by the rules will happen.

30 minutes ago, iNow said:

An admirable ambition.

Admirable? How can be ambition admirable, if you wasn't responsible for that? That literally was pre-determined, or random. There is no virtue in it! Even if you save 1000 children, that doesn't deserve any praise truthfully!

30 minutes ago, iNow said:

let’s just start by being coherent 

Or at least succinct 

To what part do you refer exactly? I think this was coherent - okay. I tried to write it briefly as possible, but it is hard to put so many ideas to the worlds. Words compress information! And again I can't really write I cannot help it, I tried one time write post like of 1 page, even 8 hours, after rewriting 100 times I gave up! So sorry about that, I can't even write literally!

18 minutes ago, swansont said:

that last one is probably illegal

irrelevant

Government workers take an oath, but some don’t take it seriously

This can’t be a serious proposal

Some positions require lie detector despite them being famously unreliable 

These can’t be taken seriously 

Clearly

Less stressful and less boring seem to be contrary goals.

I said: I Am overexaggerating :D :D :D and by that I meant improvements of security by a lot!

18 minutes ago, swansont said:

That's interesting, what exactly this means?

Edited by empleat