Create a current from emitting coil like em wave

fredreload

So I took a look at this video(posted below) regarding magnetic field and I think if I create an em wave similar to the coil(4:33), I should get a current in return? Thing is no one have generated a coil like em wave before, sort of like a tidal wave, somewhere in the microwave to infrared spectrum.

P.S. To control the current's direction, coil the magnetic field inward or outward.

Edited by fredreload

8 minutes ago, fredreload said:

I meant to say producing a cylinder shape like em wave, so you can get current flowing inside.

Spinning Cylinder

Why would the shape matter? You can shine a light, or otherwise send an EM wave through the region, but creating a wave with that shape is another matter.

Why would the EM wave cause a current to flow? 

To induce a current you need a changing magnetic field inside the loop.

5 hours ago, swansont said:

Why would the shape matter? You can shine a light, or otherwise send an EM wave through the region, but creating a wave with that shape is another matter.

Why would the EM wave cause a current to flow? 

To induce a current you need a changing magnetic field inside the loop.

Ya, I thought about it too, it is hard to create an EM wave of that shape, as well as whether this current generated could be of use in an application.

The EM wave contains a magnetic field and an electric field, I am assuming the electric field propagate the magnetic field.
Electromagneticwave3D.gif

"Electromagnetic waves can be imagined as a self-propagating transverse oscillating wave of electric and magnetic fields. This 3D animation shows a plane linearly polarized wave propagating from left to right. The electric and magnetic fields in such a wave are in-phase with each other, reaching minima and maxima together."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_radiation

A cylinder shape em wave should generate a current based on the curl right hand rule.

right-hand rule - Students | Britannica Kids | Homework Help

Edited by fredreload

11 hours ago, swansont said:

What does a “coil-like EM wave” / “em wave similar to the coil“ mean?

6 hours ago, fredreload said:

I meant to say producing a cylinder shape like em wave, so you can get current flowing inside.

Think about it before you post such rubbish.

cylinder-wood.jpg.ab5164d98bb218256946b1886dfb402b.jpg

A wave has maxima and minima.

This picture has neither.

1 hour ago, studiot said:

Think about it before you post such rubbish.

cylinder-wood.jpg.ab5164d98bb218256946b1886dfb402b.jpg

A wave has maxima and minima.

This picture has neither.

A wave can go in a straight line, or it can go like the picture below, creating a loop. I am saying the path the wave can take, not the structure of the wave.

192753366_.thumb.png.e9bfacc519de893c82dd7dbd163c103c.png

Edited by fredreload

1 hour ago, fredreload said:

A wave can go in a straight line, or it can go like the picture below, creating a loop. I am saying the path the wave can take, not the structure of the wave.

192753366_.thumb.png.e9bfacc519de893c82dd7dbd163c103c.png

A free-space EM wave can’t take that path

2 hours ago, fredreload said:

A cylinder shape em wave should generate a current based on the curl right hand rule.

No, the field will not take that form

1 hour ago, swansont said:

A free-space EM wave can’t take that path

No, the field will not take that form

EM wave is a light wave, its path could be altered by a magnetic field. Perhaps a loop emitting a magnetic field and have the em wave pass through it.

Edited by fredreload

Just now, fredreload said:

EM wave is a light wave, its path could be altered by a magnetic field. Perhaps a loop emitting a magnetic field and have the wave pass through it.

No, this does not happen in free space

22 hours ago, swansont said:

No, this does not happen in free space

I think you guys are trying to crack the fabric of space time lol, that is way ahead of my schedule. I am still working on consciousness swapping.

9 hours ago, fredreload said:

I think you guys are trying to crack the fabric of space time lol, that is way ahead of my schedule. I am still working on consciousness swapping.

I think you have no idea what you are talking about..

On 5/27/2021 at 4:06 AM, fredreload said:

EM wave is a light wave, its path could be altered by a magnetic field. Perhaps a loop emitting a magnetic field and have the em wave pass through it.

When photon, with the right properties, passes through transparent medium with appropriate properties and there is applied external magnetic field, photon's polarization is rotated. It is called Faraday rotation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_effect

and device is called Faraday rotator.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_rotator

Edited by Sensei

10 hours ago, fredreload said:

Just trying to fix your (quite egregious) errors on the topic in question. 

You aren’t going to solve anything without understanding the underlying science.

When photon, with the right properties, passes through transparent medium with appropriate properties and there is applied external magnetic field, photon's polarization is rotated. It is called Faraday rotation.

Note that this is 1) in a medium and 2) does not alter the path. (Just in case fredreload is tempted to take Faraday rotation as confirmation that their assertion has any traction)

1 hour ago, swansont said:

Just trying to fix your (quite egregious) errors on the topic in question. 

You aren’t going to solve anything without understanding the underlying science.

Note that this is 1) in a medium and 2) does not alter the path. (Just in case fredreload is tempted to take Faraday rotation as confirmation that their assertion has any traction)

I see, I think Sensei is trying to hint that a rotating magnetic field would create current. Although creating a long range magnetic field is unheard of, but there is a device called transcranial magnetic stimulation based on electromagnet. Personally, I would probably use a high power infrared laser if I want to image the brain.

49 minutes ago, fredreload said:

I see, I think Sensei is trying to hint that a rotating magnetic field would create current.

As I predicted.

No, Faraday rotation does not do that (Sensei mention polarization. Nothing about current), and Faraday rotation happens in a medium, not free space.

Picking and choosing snippets of explanations while ignoring other parts is not how science works. Neither is making stuff up because you want it to be true.

53 minutes ago, fredreload said:

there is a device called transcranial magnetic stimulation based on electromagnet. Personally, I would probably use a high power infrared laser if I want to image the brain.

The topic here is magnetic fields and coils. Stick to the topic.

9 hours ago, fredreload said:

I see, I think Sensei is trying to hint that a rotating magnetic field would create current.

No. To create a current, a photon would have to be absorbed by an electron which then would be ejected from the medium's atoms and accelerated. The ejection of an electron from an atom in a medium requires the addition of energy.

Such thing happens in e.g. photoelectric effect:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoelectric_effect

A photon passing though a transparent medium has to exit it from the opposite side (otherwise the medium is opaque).

An opaque medium can: reflect photons, refract photons (in random directions) or absorb photons.

(a transparent medium for photon with one energy/frequency/wavelength is often opaque for photon with different properties!)

An alternative (and actually more common) thing that can happen after a photon is absorbed as it passes through a medium is heating it.

Radiowave antennas are absorbing some photons, which accelerate some (a very few) electrons in the metal, in one direction, then in other direction (depending on photon properties). Therefore the antennas are connected to amplifiers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antenna_amplifier which detect these minor currents and amplify them.

Edited by Sensei

5 hours ago, Sensei said:

No. To create a current, a photon would have to be absorbed by an electron which then would be ejected from the medium's atoms and accelerated. The ejection of an electron from an atom in a medium requires the addition of energy.

A photon passing though a transparent medium has to exit it from the opposite side (otherwise the medium is opaque).

An opaque medium can: reflect photons, refract photons (in random directions) or absorb photons.

(a transparent medium for photon with one energy/frequency/wavelength is often opaque for photon with different properties!)

An alternative (and actually more common) thing that can happen after a photon is absorbed as it passes through a medium is heating it.

Radiowave antennas are absorbing some photons, which accelerate some (a very few) electrons in the metal, in one direction, then in other direction (depending on photon properties). Therefore the antennas are connected to amplifiers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antenna_amplifier which detect these minor currents and amplify them.

Yes, the antenna uses an AC current to create radio wave. Right, you are correct, the electrons does not appear out of thin air unless you can use a high enough voltage to zap out the plasma. In this case I might need to use electron doping to have the electrons surf along the infrared laser. Photoelectric effect requires visible light wavelength to have enough energy right? Or would infrared works?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a6/Dipole_xmting_antenna_animation_4_408x318x150ms.gif

Edited by fredreload

On 5/29/2021 at 5:07 AM, Sensei said:

Can you induce photoelectric effect with ultrasound?

P.S. Alright, it is not photon, but how does an ultrasonic transducer convert ultrasound to electrical current?

Edited by fredreload

3 hours ago, fredreload said:

Can you induce photoelectric effect with ultrasound?

P.S. Alright, it is not photon, but how does an ultrasonic transducer convert ultrasound to electrical current?

Piezoelectric crystals. But this is off-topic for this thread so I'll shut up.