FTL Space Travel

Sirflappington

I read up on a hypothetical way to travel faster than light in space, and that is to compress the space in front of the spacecraft while at the same time expanding the space behind the craft. They proposed this through the use of gravity to bend space while shielding the passenger and the interior of the craft from the effects of the gravity. My question is, does this actually make it possible to move faster than light relative to the passenger?

17 minutes ago, Sirflappington said:

I read up on a hypothetical way to travel faster than light in space, and that is to compress the space in front of the spacecraft while at the same time expanding the space behind the craft. They proposed this through the use of gravity to bend space while shielding the passenger and the interior of the craft from the effects of the gravity. My question is, does this actually make it possible to move faster than light relative to the passenger?

In my catalogue space expanders are £1 million and space compressors are £1.5 million per unit.
Since gravity shields are impossible, they cost a little more £100 million per set.

How many do you wish to buy ?

31 minutes ago, Sirflappington said:

Was it the speculative device discussed by Miguel Alcubierre* you read about? (Known as Alcubierre drive)

*) Alcubierre paper https://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0009013

Edited by Ghideon
grammar

1 hour ago, Sirflappington said:

read up on a hypothetical way to travel faster than light in space, and that is to compress the space in front of the spacecraft while at the same time expanding the space behind the craft. They proposed this through the use of gravity to bend space while shielding the passenger and the interior of the craft from the effects of the gravity. My question is, does this actually make it possible to move faster than light relative to the passenger?

I think that that was perfectly possible. but will not provide the details.

Edited by ahmet

13 minutes ago, ahmet said:

I think that that was perfectly possible. but will not provide the details.

!

Moderator Note

This is not an acceptable approach. This is a discussion board. 

2 hours ago, Sirflappington said:

Relative to the passenger, that can be done with simple acceleration. Never FTL at any time, but can effectively achieve it over a distance from the perspective of the passengers changing frame.

3 hours ago, Sirflappington said:

As others have mentioned, FTL travel is never possible. But a "perception" of moving FTL maybe viable by exploiting a loophole in what Einstein's relativity tells us. Nothing with mass can ever travel at or exceed light speed. Light of course has zero mass, as does the space around a proposed FTL space ship. Perhaps a sufficiently advanced civilisation, could create a "bubble" of space around such as ship, whereas then it is the space that is moving at light speed or FTL and not actually the ship.

The physics behind Einstein's relativity is that the faster anything with non zero mass goes, the more energy is required to push it. To reach "c" would require an infinite amount...and as Spock would say, an highly illogical concept.

Edited by beecee

On 5/24/2021 at 7:48 PM, beecee said:

As others have mentioned, FTL travel is never possible. But a "perception" of moving FTL maybe viable by exploiting a loophole in what Einstein's relativity tells us. Nothing with mass can ever travel at or exceed light speed. Light of course has zero mass, as does the space around a proposed FTL space ship. Perhaps a sufficiently advanced civilisation, could create a "bubble" of space around such as ship, whereas then it is the space that is moving at light speed or FTL and not actually the ship.

The physics behind Einstein's relativity is that the faster anything with non zero mass goes, the more energy is required to push it. To reach "c" would require an infinite amount...and as Spock would say, an highly illogical concept.

...and then order the Enterprise to "Warp Speed"...😛 😄

The speed of light barrier is a 'bummer'. 
So much so that people, even scientists, are grasping at straws, trying to find ways around it.

The 'semantic' approach notes the difference between moving through space, and moving with space.
And it results in more problems than it solves.

5 minutes ago, MigL said:

The 'semantic' approach notes the difference between moving through space, and moving with space.

People sometimes forget that we’re actually moving as space. 

• 3 weeks later...