Top Documentaries you should not miss:

beecee

Over the last few years I have watched some momentous documentaries, that have brought tears to my eyes, and had me in awe with the beauty of nature and the environment....

The first one certainly did bring a tear to my eye, so keep a box of tissues handy...

"Love and Bananas: An Elephant Story"

"Chasing Ice" has breath taking scenary and much food for thought [as they all are] https://watchdocumentaries.com/chasing-ice/  Chasing Ice tells the story of nature photographer James Balog and the findings of his Extreme Ice Survey, a project that set out to study and expose the impact of global warming.

The third is equally thought provoking...."Blackfish"

https://www.blackfishmovie.com/about

All three are I believe available on streaming services and also on dvd/blueray and all three are imho, well worth watching. Are there anymore about that others have seen, worth watching?

I’ve watched so many through the years that I can barely remember many. I absolutely second the nomination for Chasing Ice, though… much like I seconded it when you mentioned it 2 years ago in a climate denier thread. Lol 😂 

2 hours ago, iNow said:

I’ve watched so many through the years that I can barely remember many. I absolutely second the nomination for Chasing Ice, though… much like I seconded it when you mentioned it 2 years ago in a climate denier thread. Lol 😂 

Hmmm, OK, I'll take your word for it.😉 I blame the Fosters...or was it VB?😊

If you are able to get the first one mentioned, "Love and Bananas" [it's on Netflix in Australia]  then do it...extraordinary story, not only about Asian Elephants, but a Laoation  woman called Lek Chailert and the American, Ashley Bell for pursuing her story. Like I said, keep a tissue handy.

Edited by beecee

12 hours ago, beecee said:

All three are I believe available on streaming services and also on dvd/blueray and all three are imho, well worth watching. Are there anymore about that others have seen, worth watching?

Thanks for the tips. Love & Bananas is very moving and awareness-raising--I'll watch the other ones ASAP--. Very recently I had a sour argument on animals and compassion on social networks much less informed on average than this one. My point was that compassion does belong in the animal world, especially for humans, cetaceans, and elephants, all of which have special neurons devoted to feelings of justice and compassion apparently --Von Economo neurons--. This is in no detriment to the fact that wild life is cruel most times, even between elephants, particularly male African elephants, that sometimes fight to the death. I also had very rough treatment in the past from people who defend bullfighting in Spain and southern France. You wouldn't believe how contorted and ridiculous some of the arguments from people who defend the human right to exploit animals sometimes become.

A documentary in a similar vein than the ones you've pointed to is this:

9 hours ago, joigus said:

A documentary in a similar vein than the ones you've pointed to is this:

Will watch that in its entirety on the weekend. The "Blackfish" doco is actually about a Killer Whale in captivity that kills its trainer at sea world in the US.

While we are speaking of great videos, it's appropriate to mention the great Sir  David Attenbourough and his docos and works for animal and environmental situations. And at 95 years of age, he still seems as enthusiatic as ever...a true beacon of light for us all.

1 hour ago, beecee said:

While we are speaking of great videos, it's appropriate to mention the great Sir  David Attenbourough and his docos and works for animal and environmental situations. And at 95 years of age, he still seems as enthusiatic as ever...a true beacon of light for us all.

I think the recent "witness testimony" film Sir David put together to document climate change over his lifetime, A Life On Our Planet, should be mandatory watching for our entire species. With Clockwork Orange-level protocols, if necessary.

On 5/21/2021 at 7:17 AM, Phi for All said:

I think the recent "witness testimony" film Sir David put together to document climate change over his lifetime, A Life On Our Planet, should be mandatory watching for our entire species. With Clockwork Orange-level protocols, if necessary.

I will be doing my damdest to get hold of that. Many great docos about of course...I remember another featuring Sir David Attenboroough and Richard Dawkins, another top scientist trying educate those that need it and showing the mythical nature of those pushing and/or adhering to creationism in one of its many forms and doing a pretty good job, along with the late great Carl Sagan and his own doco series, probably one of the best ever in "Cosmos"...Plenty of others featuring notable scientists such as DeGrasse Tyson, Brian Cox and Lawrence Krauss.

Another which I saw many years ago, called "The Ascent of Man"by a bloke called Jacob Bronowski...All great men, and all imo doing a job for science. A shame now that free to air TV [at least in Australia] is so full of those damn silly unbelievable, so called "reality shows". They literally make me sick!! 

• 10 months later...

I enjoy the Nature of Things series with David Suzuki. It's a popular program; introductory, rather than advanced science, but entertaining and an excellent way to broaden one's horizons. I just finished watching this one: The Musical Animal  https://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/ - qrowe, if that avatar is an actual companion, it might be of special significance to you. While I didn't (this time) learn very much that's new to me, I'm always gratified to see good research in animal behaviour.