Understanding The Reactivity Series

Kagi98JP

Hello, everyone! I have a quick homework question that I assume has some relation to the reactivity series? It goes like this: "Would it be a good idea to store a solution of zinc nitrate in a container made of iron?  Why or why not?" I suspect it would be a fine idea to store the solution of zinc nitrate in a container made of iron because iron is less reactive than zinc and cannot displace it? I'm not entirely sure, as we skimmed over the reactivity series in class, so I would really appreciate a more in-depth and thorough answer. Thank you guys so much! 

33 minutes ago, Kagi98JP said:

Hello, everyone! I have a quick homework question that I assume has some relation to the reactivity series? It goes like this: "Would it be a good idea to store a solution of zinc nitrate in a container made of iron?  Why or why not?" I suspect it would be a fine idea to store the solution of zinc nitrate in a container made of iron because iron is less reactive than zinc and cannot displace it? I'm not entirely sure, as we skimmed over the reactivity series in class, so I would really appreciate a more in-depth and thorough answer. Thank you guys so much! 

Your logic looks OK to me. I see, consulting my Periodic Table, that the electronegativity of Fe is greater than that of Zn, so it doesn't look as if Fe will give up its electrons to Zn2+.  (Also, as I recall, the principle of galvanising relies on Zn being preferentially oxidised and thus protecting the Fe.)  

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, Country Boy said:

What about the zinc giving up electrons to the iron?

To do that to Fe metal would involve make a "ferride" anion, Fe⁻ or something. That would not happen.  

But Zn metal could give electrons to Fe²⁺ or Fe³⁺ cations, reducing them to Fe, while the Zn was correspondingly oxidised to Zn²⁺.