Boeing 737 max - does the system give 15 seconds for pilot to disable the autopilot system?

PeterBushMan

26 minutes ago, PeterBushMan said:

Boeing 737 max - does the system give 15 seconds for pilot to disable the autopilot system?

There is a summary of changes required by the FAA here: https://paxex.aero/737max-autopilot-minimum-requirements-faa/

I'm not clear what you mean by giving the pilot 15 secs to disengage the autopilot (e.g. 15 secs before what happens?) or why this would be relevant. 

22 hours ago, exchemist said:

There is a summary of changes required by the FAA here: https://paxex.aero/737max-autopilot-minimum-requirements-faa/

I'm not clear what you mean by giving the pilot 15 secs to disengage the autopilot (e.g. 15 secs before what happens?) or why this would be relevant. 

I mean that -

After the autopilot system takes control the plane.

The pilot has only 15 seconds to disable the autopilot system.

23 minutes ago, PeterBushMan said:

I mean that -

After the autopilot system takes control the plane.

The pilot has only 15 seconds to disable the autopilot system.

15 seconds before what, though? Surely the pilot can switch the autopilot off and return to manual control any time he wants to, can't he? No autopilot takes control unless the pilot turns it on, and equally, he can always turn it off.

The MCAS system, implicated in the 2 crashes of the 737 Max, is nothing to do with the autopilot. Do you mean the MCAS system rather than the autopilot?     

Edited by exchemist

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 6:35 PM, exchemist said:

15 seconds before what, though? Surely the pilot can switch the autopilot off and return to manual control any time he wants to, can't he? No autopilot takes control unless the pilot turns it on, and equally, he can always turn it off.

The MCAS system, implicated in the 2 crashes of the 737 Max, is nothing to do with the autopilot. Do you mean the MCAS system rather than the autopilot?     

" is nothing to do with the autopilot.",

hahahhahahha

16 minutes ago, PeterBushMan said:

" is nothing to do with the autopilot.",

hahahhahahha

If you are incapable of taking in the simple fact that the autopilot and MCAS are different systems, then that is your problem, not mine.  Why don't you look up MCAS on the internet and find out what it is for yourself? 

Edited by exchemist

While an autopilot is responsible for retaining heading and altitude, The MCAS system was implemented to counteract the pitch deviation caused by the new engines on the 737 MAX, and how they were mounted on the wings.
The system forces the nose down when it detects "pitch deviation' on two sensors, which can maqlfunction.
AFAIK, the option to turn off MCAS was always there, but information was missing from the training and flight manuals.

And "hahahahaha" is not a valid argument; grow up !