Copernicium(VI) Flouride Batteries

IDNeon

I don't know where to post this but physics is most popular and these batteries are "high powered".

I don't think they are theoretical either. I think they are highly classified and I'll save you the story but I think someone in a lecture on deep sea submarines accidentally revealed their existence. 

Their words "...and two, one-twelve element batteries..." was casually stated in listing off the specifications of a declassified briefing on a specific Russian submarine.

This got me thinking what was meant. I'll spare the research and give you the conclusions. I'd love to see others help reverse-engineer this hypothesis further.

Tl;Dr-

291Cn + 6HF -> CnF6 + 6H(+)

I'm not prepared to share every source I found to come to this conclusion but I'll summarize.

Copernicium is stated to be a relativistic noble liquid same as Lead-Acid therefore one paper briefly suggested it is possible it behaves chemically similar to lead-acid.

Lead-acid reduction potential is 1.69v.

Cn(2+)/Cn reduction potential is 2.1v

Already comparable to the stronger grid-level storage batteries (molten salt).

Lead-acid yields 2O(-) ions in the reaction.

CnF6 would yield 6F(-) which beats the pants off Li-ion.

CnF6 is theorized to be stable. As is CnF4 (and theorized to behave like HgF4).

Cn is supposedly highly radioactive but it's only alpha decay so that should be manageable right? 

291Cn and 293Cn are theorized to be islands of stability. They should have half lifes greater than 10 years. 

So in my estimation...a 291(293)CnF6 battery is completely possible and the only reason it's not well known is its expense to create makes it limited to governments who have a specific need for it.

Higher reductive potential means better batteries. 6F(-) means huge kilowatts per weight. In terms of molten salt grid storage a Cn battery could be 150% better than those.

Which would explain why the US government has politely disregarded the molten salt potential.

300kw = 400hp roughly and can provide 5knots.

That is more than achievable with lead-acid so for submarines needing more tactical speed, a flouride battery makes more sense.

This is where the island of stability is an important statement I buried in there.

Turns out Cn-294 has the "theoretical" half life of 300+ years. But really it just depends upon WHICH of the stable isotopes is most easily synthesized. I haven't found the "theoretical" synthesis of those isotopes yet. 

But it's most likely been found. There's no way around what was said. And this wasn't some "high school" teacher either. They're an expert in their field with a Top Secret SCI clearance.

Edited by IDNeon

59 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

It has a measured half life of 0.098 seconds.

Observation trumps "theory

Lol what? Copernicium294 hasn't been produced in a public setting.

Theory isn't 1000s of orders of magnitude off of reality. If the Japanese Nuclear industry says its expected half life is 300 years then its expected half life is 300 years.

https://wwwndc.jaea.go.jp/CN14/sp/

1 hour ago, John Cuthber said:

It has a measured half life of 0.098 seconds.

Observation trumps "theory".

Observation says that a respected naval engineer who has TS-SCI clearance stated matter-of-factly that Russians are using hundred-twelve element batteries.

How about you look past your own nose and start answering that.

Feel free to explain what kind of logical mistake that could have been.

What else is a "hundred-twelve" element battery.

Did he say element when he meant cells? Do you think THAT is practical? 

Edited by IDNeon

39 minutes ago, IDNeon said:

Theory isn't 1000s of orders of magnitude off of reality. If the Japanese Nuclear industry says its expected half life is 300 years then its expected half life is 300 years.

https://wwwndc.jaea.go.jp/CN14/sp/

Observation says that a respected naval engineer who has TS-SCI clearance stated matter-of-factly that Russians are using hundred-twelve element batteries.

How about you look past your own nose and start answering that.

Feel free to explain what kind of logical mistake that could have been.

What else is a "hundred-twelve" element battery.

Did he say element when he meant cells? Do you think THAT is practical? 

Well, he clearly didn't mean Copernicium. They can't even study it's properties, it's half-life is that short.

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

Well, he clearly didn't mean Copernicium. They can't even study it's properties, it's half-life is that short

None of what you said is true 

1 hour ago, zapatos said:

Lighten up my friend. This is a discussion site, not a boxing ring

Then it'd be nice if people actually discussed things instead of repeat non related things.

Im not talking about copernicium-284. Im talking about copernicium in the stable island range. 291-297.

2 hours ago, IDNeon said:

Sorry, I hadn't realised how far into the realms of fantasy you were. I misread the 294 as 284.

I have a theory that it twill turn out that the only way to get the 294 isotope is by bombarding unobtanium with unicorn droppings.

as you say...

2 hours ago, IDNeon said:

Theory isn't 1000s of orders of magnitude off of reality.

Just now, John Cuthber said:

Sorry, I hadn't realised how far into the realms of fantasy you were. I misread the 294 as 284.

I have a theory that it twill turn out that the only way to get the 294 isotope is by bombarding unobtanium with unicorn droppings

The difference is nuclear physicists theories are based on reality and the math used to define to it.

So I'll continue to believe Cn-294 has a half life of over 300 years.

This thread is about the plausibility of the Copernicium battery.

Not about its existence being verified. So naturally it deals a lot with theory. 

What's wrong with that?

1 hour ago, IDNeon said:

None of what you said is true 

!

Moderator Note

Since you can’t or won’t support your claims, you can’t challenge this. 

In any event, refusal to support claims isn’t how we do things here.