Is slower than light warp drive possible? Maybe we are passing up a possibility that would open up the solar system without the negative mass required to go faster than light?

I couldn't find much on the idea but Sabine Hossenfelder mentions it in this video at about 02:30.  

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1361-6382/abdf6e

Conceptually, we demonstrate that any warp drive, including the Alcubierre drive, is a shell of regular or exotic material moving inertially with a certain velocity. Therefore, any warp drive requires propulsion. We show that a class of subluminal, spherically symmetric warp drive spacetimes, at least in principle, can be constructed based on the physical principles known to humanity today

Edited by Moontanman
8 hours ago, beecee said:

First I have heard of Sabine...I love the rather "thick" pronunciation of Einstein.

Interesting video.

I am rather fond of Sabine, she cuts through the gobbledygook and makes her field understandable. As a bonus she sings, often about science.