Exotic compact objects' could soon break physics, new study suggests

Curious layman

Out in the depths of the universe, outlandish black-hole-like entities might exist with the power to redefine physics as we know it. A new study calculates that, in the coming years, gravitational wave observatories on Earth could find these hypothetical oddballs, which are known as exotic compact objects.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/news/exotic-compact-objects-could-soon-break-physics-new-study-suggests/ar-BB1fTnjz?ocid=BingNews

New physics doesn’t break physics. And if these oddballs are hypothetical, it sounds like some physicists are already working on the new physics. Otherwise nobody would be able to describe what they might be like.

Interesting article...A question for those more in the know with regards to some of the hypotheticals it talks about...My  querie is with regards to Gravastars and the accepted garden variety "gravitationally completely collapsed objects", or if you like BH's. Can we differentiate between them, say in the signature of the gravitational radiation being emmited by one if they really exist?  Afterall, we are able to calculate the sizes, and types of BH's, and differentiate them from Neutron stars, depending on whether they match certain templates. Either way, a "Gravastar" [if they exist] appears just as "exotic" as BH's, at least based on what little I know about Gravastars.

My second question is with GR itself and the fact that it predicts EH's...so if any signature of a Gravastar is found, would it invalidate GR? and would it give rise to a new theory, perhaps a QGT if found? Or simply be recognised as a limitation of GR? Or alternatively, could Gravastars and our garden variety BH both exist?

Edited by beecee

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.