what do I need to learn/already have learnt in physics and math before Grade 10

ForbiddenFursona

I am Grade 9 right now, and I felt that I might be forgetting a few things

since it's lockdown, and our school came from 5 schooldays to 2 call days and 2 homework days (friday is free :D)
so I decided to use my time to study.
thing is, what should I study?
where do I start in relearning things?

thanks! 

2 minutes ago, ForbiddenFursona said:

Study things that are interestig to you..

Alternatively, study your school textbooks in advance before teacher tells you chapters to read. You will get good grades, when class will go through materal that you know already, and will have more time to learn new chapters in advance, again.

Study computers science and programming. The all modern quantum physicists have to know how to program computers to be able to analyse large amount of data from sensors and devices.

19 minutes ago, ForbiddenFursona said:

since it's lockdown, and our school came from 5 schooldays to 2 call days and 2 homework days (friday is free :D)

thanks! 

Ask your teachers. They should know the topics on which you are strong and those on which you are weak. Also, with a mathematical subject like physics, it is worth getting some practice at solving problems. If you are like my son, you may understand the topics and know the equations but not be very good at answering problems involving unfamiliar scenarios, or requiring multiple steps. A bit of practice can give you more confidence. 

Avoid a scattergun approach. Decide on a small handful of things to work on and do those, until you feel you have made tangible progress. Good luck. 

5 hours ago, exchemist said:

Ask your teachers. They should know the topics on which you are strong and those on which you are weak. Also, with a mathematical subject like physics, it is worth getting some practice at solving problems. If you are like my son, you may understand the topics and know the equations but not be very good at answering problems involving unfamiliar scenarios, or requiring multiple steps. A bit of practice can give you more confidence. 

Avoid a scattergun approach. Decide on a small handful of things to work on and do those, until you feel you have made tangible progress. Good luck. 

I meant, in more of a "self study" kinda way
our teachers here aren't the kind of teachers you could talk one-on-one to.
the teacher's "motive" I guess is that you're there to teach, and nothing else
which is kind of sad, in all honesty

32 minutes ago, ForbiddenFursona said:

Oh, OK, that's a pity. But surely someone must give you feedback, or how do you know what needs attention? 

But if you have no feedback then, if I were you, I would choose a couple of topics where I know I am not very strong, and maybe a couple of topics that really interest me, where I can go further, perhaps beyond the course syllabus, out of interest. It's important to find things that interest you in school work, rather than just being a slave to the exam machine. It's one way to help decide you what to study at university.  

Good advice from exchemist +1.

7 hours ago, ForbiddenFursona said:

thanks! 

One thing I am not clear about.

What is year 9 in the Philipines ?

Wikipedia says you talk of grade 9 not year 9 and there are some differences in different countries.

So the UK year 9 is equivalent to the Us grade 8.

Here is a useful converter table.

https://www.pearsonclinical.co.uk/Sitedownloads/Miscpdfs/Gradetoage.pdf

This is quite important as year 10 in the UK can be the year of the first important career exams.

2 hours ago, studiot said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninth_grade#Philippines

"Philippines

In the Philippines, Grade 9 is the third year of Junior High School. Topics mainly discussed are the following subjects like, for the major subjects are Geometry (Math in Grade 9), Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Earth Science (Science in Grade 9), Filipino subject with Noli Me Tangere, Anglo-American Literature (English) and Philippine Economical Study (Political Studies in Grade 9). Values Education, MAPEH (Music, Arts, Physical Education and Health), Computer and TLE (Technology and Livelihood Education) are some of the minor subjects. Students are usually 14–15 years old."

12 hours ago, ForbiddenFursona said:

That may be true, but you can always ask. They might surprise you with some good advice or guidance.

13 hours ago, studiot said:

Good advice from exchemist +1.

Wikipedia says you talk of grade 9 not year 9 and there are some differences in different countries.

So the UK year 9 is equivalent to the Us grade 8.

Here is a useful converter table.

https://www.pearsonclinical.co.uk/Sitedownloads/Miscpdfs/Gradetoage.pdf

This is quite important as year 10 in the UK can be the year of the first important career exams.

year 10 in the uk might also be grade 10 here
because in grade 10, that's a year before senior high (grade 11 & 12, where you pick you course n stuff like STEM, ABM, etc)

if that's the case, then year 9 is the same as grade 9 (maybe)

14 hours ago, ForbiddenFursona said:

year 10 in the uk might also be grade 10 here
because in grade 10, that's a year before senior high (grade 11 & 12, where you pick you course n stuff like STEM, ABM, etc)

if that's the case, then year 9 is the same as grade 9 (maybe)

OK thanks and my apologies.

Reading more carefully I see that you did in fact say grade 9 not year 9.

So the real lesson there is to always read the instruction (question) properly.

As regards to what you should study.

In Maths I would suggest making sure you are good at manipulating equations so that you can solve single equations and simultaneous equations.
They will appear again and again in both Maths and Physics.

In Physics I would recommend concentrating on the ideas rather than the detail at this stage.
Pay particular attention to mechanics as most of the rest of Physics is presented in terms of the ideas of mechanics.
So make sure you know what a force is and the difference betwen a force and pressure.

If you have any particular questions just ask.