Decline or Greentech growth: your opinion & your favourite forum/places to talk about ecology & technology!

Yeah, and you can also grow your vegetables! Depleting the planet (woods, food etc) works when we are millions but does not when we are billions unfortunately. Now if you factor in the costs of buying the land to grow a forest where the meat can run (which is why meat costs more, you need to feed animals with plants and water), it will be more expensive

15 minutes ago, greeneye12 said:

It's all too easy to complain and say it's of global concern but don't compensate for the profits they don't make.

I said it's a global economy, therefore history might teach us something; Easter Island for instance, I'm sure their economy was Island wide (global from there perspective)... 

5 minutes ago, greeneye12 said:

Yeah, and you can also grow your vegetables! Depleting the planet (woods, food etc) works when we are millions but does not when we are billions unfortunately. Now if you factor in the costs of buying the land to grow a forest where the meat can run (which is why meat costs more, you need to feed animals with plants and water), it will be more expensive

Well, then we're doomed...  😉

2 minutes ago, greeneye12 said:

Hopefully we are not, depending on our choices and the tech we can develop 🙂

We "ALL" have to eat first...

If I'm hungery, I'm going to steal your food... 🙄

Edited by dimreepr

On 4/20/2021 at 2:58 AM, greeneye12 said:

We can mostly agree that stealing is wrong but it takes laws and enforcement to discourage it - and still stealing is widespread; relying on that in-principle agreement that it is wrong is insufficient.

Moral principle has been with us since before the written word. One of the basic principle's is do not steal. 

It is the basic principle written in every religious text, historical accounts, Broadway plays and even in every sitcom from the first run to the Last

“Growing Pains“

“Seinfeld”

“Cheers”

“Simpsons”

“Wagon Train (1957–1965)”

“Little House on the Prairie (1974–1983)”

Above is just a sample that didn’t include great sonnets & poems by Shakespeare and other great righters of old.

Morality in the theme of them all.

As I see it

14 hours ago, farsideofourmoon said:

Moral principle has been with us since before the written word. One of the basic principle's is do not steal. 

It is the basic principle written in every religious text, historical accounts, Broadway plays and even in every sitcom from the first run to the Last

“Growing Pains“

“Seinfeld”

“Cheers”

“Simpsons”

“Wagon Train (1957–1965)”

“Little House on the Prairie (1974–1983)”

Above is just a sample that didn’t include great sonnets & poems by Shakespeare and other great righters of old.

Morality in the theme of them all.

As I see it

Another one is charity, feeding the hungry etc... what's your point?

On 4/17/2021 at 4:06 PM, Area54 said:

Corrected. At least for the moment. Perhaps if you were less obtuse people would better understand your intent. (Or, perhaps, if you were more obtuse people wouldn't discern your intent. One wonders which is true.)

On 4/18/2021 at 2:34 AM, iNow said:

Don’t worry. That’s par for the course with dimreepr 

Was my point really that easy to miss?

Genuine question, I'd love to learn why...

Edited by dimreepr

55 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Genuine question, I'd love to learn why...

This will quickly go off-topic if we let it, so let’s be sensitive to that, but here’s what I saw:

OP: “I’d like to discuss green tech and ways to minimize our impact on the environment.”

YOU: “For tech to help us, we’ll need to change how we impact the environment.”

OP: “Yes, I agree!”

YOU: “You’ve missed my point.”

OP: “I don’t really see how. Will you explain?”

ME: “You’re new here. Don’t worry too much. Dim is our local riddler and poet.”

Hope that helps, bud. No offense intended. ✌️

1 minute ago, iNow said:

This will quickly go off-topic if we let it, so let’s be sensitive to that, but here’s what I saw:

OP: “I’d like to discuss green tech and ways to minimize our impact on the environment.”

YOU: “For tech to help us, we’ll need to change how we impact the environment.”

OP: “Yes, I agree!”

YOU: “You’ve missed my point.”

OP: “I don’t really see how. Will you explain?”

ME: “You’re new here. Don’t worry too much. Dim is our local riddler and poet.”

Hope that helps, bud. No offense intended. ✌️

None taken, I allways value your posts...

4 hours ago, dimreepr said:

My observations wereprompted in part with the post that said:

"I wouldn't expect you too [understand]...

The neg rep; is a badge of honour; thanks..."

First line, does it mean "given you are new to the forum and my own point wasn't well verbalised I wouldn't expect you to", or does it mean "given that you've made lots of inane remarks so far I wouldn't expect you to grasp a straighforward idea." I couldn't tell.

However, I was also prompted by the fact that I often feel unsure about your posts, which I find rich in ambiguity. I presumed it was deliberate (motive unknown), but given your request here I see I was probably mistaken. I also suspected that I was just being thick and falling down on my reading comprehension. iNow seems perplexed in like manner, so it might not be me. I don't wish to take this of topic any further. If you wish to discuss by pm I'm happy to do so, if it might help.

Back on topic,

I have had 5 fridges so far in my adult life.
If I only ever had one and imagine this saving multiplied by the population and multiplied again by all the other 'throwaway' gadgets..........

Fridges in particular are a special point sinceeaach one contributes refrigerant to the envoronment.

Article from this month's SAGA magazine.

Enjoy the pun!

saga1.thumb.jpg.0fb4764e19d6095bf7389a0481e64b9b.jpg

21 hours ago, studiot said:

Back on topic,

I have had 5 fridges so far in my adult life.
If I only ever had one and imagine this saving multiplied by the population and multiplied again by all the other 'throwaway' gadgets..........

Fridges in particular are a special point sinceeaach one contributes refrigerant to the envoronment.

Article from this month's SAGA magazine.

Enjoy the pun!

saga1.thumb.jpg.0fb4764e19d6095bf7389a0481e64b9b.jpg

Indeed, It's difficult to understand that tomorrow could end today, when so many of them end up yesterday.

48 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Indeed, It's difficult to understand that tomorrow could end today, when so many of them end up yesterday.

You seem like you're going out of your way to be "difficult to understand", despite the evidence that your points are being lost, and that at one point you were concerned about it.

8 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

You seem like you're going out of your way to be "difficult to understand", despite the evidence that your points are being lost, and that at one point you were concerned about it.

Was that yesterday???