Capital punishment, is it justice?

dimreepr

4 minutes ago, swansont said:

You said an eye for an eye was justice. And then said tit-for-tat had to be two eyes for one.

I thought I'd said tit-for-tat goes wrong when we demand revenge; and pluck out more than a tat...

48 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

I thought I'd said tit-for-tat goes wrong when we demand revenge; and pluck out more than a tat...

Not actually what you said, and why I asked for clarification.

2 for 1 is not tit-for-tat, and you'd already established that it's an eye for an eye. No escalation.

• 2 months later...

. The death penalty is a crime committed by the society against a single individual, who is helpless. I cannot call it a penalty, it is a crime.

. And you can understand why it is committed: it is a revenge. Society is taking revenge because the man did not follow the rules of the society; the society is ready to kill him. But nobody bothers that when somebody murders it shows that man is psychologically sick.

. Rather than sending him to imprisonment or to be executed, he should be sent into a nursing home where he can be taken care of – physically, psychologically, spiritually. He is sick. He needs all the compassion of the society; there is no question of penalty, punishment.

. Your so-called civilization ... is ... as much barbarian ... as it used to be 2000 years ago. But now, politics is way more subtle ... than it was ... 2000 years ago. And ... they do the same ... but covered with a thick facade. And this facade is apparently invisible to the mediocre mind ... which represent ... the sheep of the society ...

. Society does not want you ... to be a Wolf ... to be a Lion. It wants you to be a stupid sheep ... always ready to obey to stupid politicians ... always ready to obey to stupid priests ... always ready to obey to stupid so-called group moderators in service of the morb's Truth ...

Edited by Anand_Haqq

5 hours ago, Anand_Haqq said:

. Society does not want you ... to be a Wolf ... to be a Lion. It wants you to be a stupid sheep ... always ready to obey to stupid politicians ... always ready to obey to stupid priests ... always ready to obey to stupid so-called group moderators in service of the morb's Truth ...

Where do politicians come from? Where do priests come from? Where do moderators come from? 

6 hours ago, Anand_Haqq said:

Your so-called civilization ... is ... as much barbarian ... as it used to be 2000 years ago.

Isn't it ironic that this argument is about as nuanced as you'd expect from Iron Age minds? 

While I don't disagree with your assessment of the death penalty, your presentation makes me want to push back against your many generalizations, assumptions, and insulting manner.