Does the world need to prepare for an economic crash soon?

jimmydasaint

I am not an economist or politician.

However, I am hearing rumours of a world economic crash, possibly in the next year, that will rival the 1929 economic disaster. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBpL2WwGiw4  

Harry Dent: Stock Market 40% Crash in April, Nothing Can Save You, Bitcoin to Zero, Gold to $1000 - YouTube

We, the public, should be able to analyse and assess how economic changes can influence all aspects of life including political manifestations as well as sociogeopolitical responses by a concerned public (e.g. me)

Do others see stability, limited instability or widespread instability?

23 minutes ago, jimmydasaint said:

However, I am hearing rumours of a world economic crash, possibly in the next year, that will rival the 1929 economic disaster. 

Harry Dent: Stock Market 40% Crash in April, Nothing Can Save You, Bitcoin to Zero, Gold to $1000 - YouTube

We, the public, should be able to analyse and assess how economic changes can influence all aspects of life including political manifestations as well as sociogeopolitical responses by a concerned public (e.g. me)

How would you prepare for such an event?

I would prepare for any instability to society or the food supply by: a) accumulating dried foods that could last for 6 months

b) buying solar lamps that could give up to 10 hours of light after being charged by sunlight

c) buying batteries and torches that can be charged by induction

d) buying toilet paper -  a clean bottom is a prerequisite to face any social disorder (also clean underwear in case you are  asked to undress at the doctors )

Edited by jimmydasaint
Typing ballsups

3 hours ago, jimmydasaint said:

Haven't we just had an economic crash, bigger than anything in the last 300 years? That seems to be what the papers have been telling us.

4 hours ago, jimmydasaint said:

I am hearing rumours of a world economic crash, possibly in the next year, that will rival the 1929 economic disaster. 

Economists have successfully predicted 10 of the last 4 market crashes

Much of the instability is already priced into the market anyway. The traders tend to make money on both the upside and the downside and it’s only massive unanticipated system shocks that cause huge crashes. 

This is in today's AP news:

Grim view of global future offered in intelligence report

WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. intelligence officials are painting a dark picture of the world’s future, writing in a report released Thursday that the coronavirus pandemic has deepened economic inequality, strained government resources and fanned nationalist sentiments.

Those assessments are included in a Global Trends report by the government’s National Intelligence Council. The reports, produced every four years, are designed to help policymakers and citizens anticipate the economic, environmental, technological and demographic forces likely to shape the world through the next 20 years.

https://apnews.com/article/technology-environment-us-news-coronavirus-pandemic-health-cbcafe70b4724a7605d56d40fa294027

11 hours ago, jimmydasaint said:

buying batteries and torches that can be charged by induction

It's a recession, not The Omega Man or Soylent Green ( I liked Charlton Heston before he became involved with the NRA ).
And there won't be any zombies either ...

1 minute ago, MigL said:

It's a recession, not The Omega Man or Soylent Green ( I liked Charlton Heston before he became involved with the NRA ).

Those are both solid films that I enjoyed a lot. Most locals here seem to have been stocking up on ammo and tools allow self reload of shells... militias seem to be more common than I’d like. 

1 hour ago, MigL said:

It's people!...damn dirty apes with cold dead hands are people!

4 hours ago, StringJunky said:

Here's the Global Trends website for the report

Interesting link with useful info, but for me misses the point of the thread a bit. They (once using the menu to find the Economy section) speak of growing national debts and borrowing at low interest rates and inequality and migration crises worsened by climate change, and all of those issues are very real and very important, but they’re also very 10-30 years away. 

In terms of prepping now for impending doom, the economy this year and next year depends almost entirely on our ability to get the whole planet vaccinated from covid.

If we can’t overcome evangelical and white male Republican opposition to vaccines in the US, and if we can’t get vaccines to the over 50 countries who still haven’t delivered even a single jab, or to areas like Brazil who have leaders still brazenly calling the pandemic a hoax perpetrated by liberal media elites and “the Jews,” then THAT is what will cause the economy to tank in the next 3-6 quarters (and that disinformation is being actively fed into us via state actors).  

Edited by iNow