Would someone please calculate... ?

Externet

Hi.

Unable to rescue by books at the moment, and several decades after the university years, cannot remember enough to calculate this :

A paddle wheel with 1m² paddles (1m x 1m) is turned by a river flowing at 0.5 m/sec.

What is the horsepower generated?

-The paddle wheel is attached to a pier, the paddles submerge fully when at the low point.-

Or, if someone can lend me the formulas, thanks!

Miguel

Hmm, I don't know of any formula for this (if one exists at all), but you can work on the equation:

Power = Force x velocity

as in the force on the paddle versus the velocity in which it is moving. The only problem I see is finding the force on the paddle wheel. What is the force required to anchor a paddle of 1 square meter in a river moving at that speed? o.o

Hi.

Yes, disregarding friction. Now the no load part cannot understand... If there is no load considered, then there is no power ¿?

Am unsure if I calculated this 30 years ago with a result of 50HP, I may be confused.

I do not remember well if the diameter of the wheel calculated irrelevant, but I think so.

The point is knowing the capability of such 1m² paddle wheel to replace a current diesel engine used for pumping water from the same river for irrigation. If the result is not enough, then increasing the area of the paddles to be built.

Miguel

• 2 months later...