How to apply equations to brain functions.

Without a deep background in advanced math, I find myself struggling to understand the free energy principle, as it apples to brain functions, as theorized by Carl Friston.  I can mostly understand the written explanations of these equations, but have questions over how to get the variables to use in the equations.

doi:10.1016/j.tics.2009.04.005 (ucl.ac.uk)

ON the second page of that paper, there are equations over images of the brain.  Here is a quote from BOX 1.

". The free-energy depends on two densities; one that generates sensory samples and their causes, pðy; #Þ and a recognition density on the causes, qð#;mÞ. T"

How would I ever go about generating a numerical value for these two densities, which you need if you want to use the equation.

Are these equations ever used to figure actual problems, or are they just models of relation?  IF they are used to get specific values where do I find the specific values needed to complete the equation with math?