The real reason an ice age can occur

Cheyennegregory

I realized this a few years ago. This is my theory although I am 100% certain it is not a theory but fact however this is science and without hard evidence it is still theory.

There are many theories about how this can occur and the most popular is the theory involving slight variations in earths orbit around the sun but this is just bad science and after you read this you will understand why. 

When earth is healthy with little negative influence from mankind earths forests thrive. When this occurs  the air becomes rich with oxygen and very little carbon causing too much of the suns heat to escape as there is not enough carbon in the atmosphere to trap the heat. This cooling effect slows evaporation which Decreases the amount of rain in the atmosphere and as this happens fresh water sources at a lower and lower latitude freeze and majority of the moisture is out of the atmosphere. This is when the ice age starts. During the ice age The northern forests die and anywhere else the ground remains frozen for an extended period of time. I do not know one thing though which is how far south this ice cover extends it must very from ice age to ice age. This was why an ice age occurs. 100%

Now my theory on how earth recovers from an ice age. 

An ice age does not mean that the entire planet is covered in I believe. My belief and many’s belief is that the equator remains ice-free however may  experience snow and freezing rain frequently. You see Mother Nature is constantly creating balance and in a perfect world with zero negative influence from mankind she knows exactly which forests need rain, which forests need to burn and any other occurrence that needs to happen. this Is important because along the equator there has to be wildfires so that the earth can get warm again. And maybe I’m wrong about variations in earths orbit not causing an ice age. Perhaps these variation in conjunction with a thriving planet is what is needed to start the ice age. 

Thanks

2 hours ago, Cheyennegregory said:

I realized this a few years ago. This is my theory although I am 100% certain it is not a theory but fact. 

This was why an ice age occurs. 100%

Nothing like self confidence, supported by posting in the wrong section!

2 hours ago, Cheyennegregory said:

this is science and without hard evidence it is still theory.

With evidence, hard or otherwise, you only have an hypothesis.

The following is a more accurate account on why ice ages occur.....this is science.

https://culter.colorado.edu/~saelias/glacier.html#:~:text=What causes ice-ages%3F,of the glacial%2Finterglacial cycles.

In short, and simply put, most likely they are caused by variations, with incoming solar radiation, for a variety of reasons, including changes in the Earth's tilt and orbital parameters in conjunction with what is known as Milankovitch cycles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milankovitch_cycles#:~:text=Milankovitch cycles describe the collective,geophysicist and astronomer Milutin

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_forcing

Edited by beecee

How does your hypothesis match up with the evidence?

There is historical data that tells us the CO2 and O2 levels in the past. Also, the levels varied before humans were on the planet; we've really only had the ability to make a significant change in very recent times. Go back ~40 million years and CO2 levels were twice what they are today. But no humans.

10 hours ago, Cheyennegregory said:

When earth is healthy with little negative influence from mankind earths forests thrive.

As Swansont has pointed out, no. Earth's forests didn't thrive, e.g., during the Permian --globally, and long before humans existed--, and fought a battle to death with the big herbivores in the past --think of grazing dinosaurs. They're still fighting that battle. Animals like the elephant, deinotherium, mammoths, etc. are (and have been) largely responsible for forest disappearing in big patches.

You also forget many other factors, like weathering of rocks (depletes the atmosphere from CO2), volcanism (fills the atmosphere with CO2 among other things).

The other things you miss is what Beecee tells you: Milankovitch cycles are known to have an important effect in the cooling and warming cycles of the Earth.

And Mikhail Budyko showed that, were the Earth to suffer a period of cooling hard enough for the polar ice caps to get to 25-30 degrees latitude, the albedo effect would be so powerful that the total freezing of the Earth would be unstoppable, reaching even the equator. So:

11 hours ago, Cheyennegregory said:

An ice age does not mean that the entire planet is covered in I believe. My belief and many’s belief is that the equator remains ice-free however may  experience snow and freezing rain frequently.

is also incorrect in general, over geological-scale time periods. We know this happened in the past because there are regions in Australia and America where rock patters show that the sand was under a cover of ice, and yet, due to magnetisation patterns, we know they were on the equator at that time. This was previous to the Cambrian, though, and it is not believed that it would likely happen again.

• 6 months later...
On 3/22/2021 at 12:28 PM, Cheyennegregory said:

I realized this a few years ago. This is my theory although I am 100% certain it is not a theory but fact however this is science and without hard evidence it is still theory.

There are many theories about how this can occur and the most popular is the theory involving slight variations in earths orbit around the sun but this is just bad science and after you read this you will understand why. 

When earth is healthy with little negative influence from mankind earths forests thrive. When this occurs  the air becomes rich with oxygen and very little carbon causing too much of the suns heat to escape as there is not enough carbon in the atmosphere to trap the heat. This cooling effect slows evaporation which Decreases the amount of rain in the atmosphere and as this happens fresh water sources at a lower and lower latitude freeze and majority of the moisture is out of the atmosphere. This is when the ice age starts. During the ice age The northern forests die and anywhere else the ground remains frozen for an extended period of time. I do not know one thing though which is how far south this ice cover extends it must very from ice age to ice age. This was why an ice age occurs. 100%

An ice age does not mean that the entire planet is covered in I believe. My belief and many’s belief is that the equator remains ice-free however may  experience snow and freezing rain frequently. You see Mother Nature is constantly creating balance and in a perfect world with zero negative influence from mankind she knows exactly which forests need rain, which forests need to burn and any other occurrence that needs to happen. this Is important because along the equator there has to be wildfires so that the earth can get warm again. And maybe I’m wrong about variations in earths orbit not causing an ice age. Perhaps these variation in conjunction with a thriving planet is what is needed to start the ice age. 

Thanks

Hello friend. 

In my consideration there must be several factors helping to it. However I strongly considered there could happen due to a surfaces drifting. That gets triggered by those oscillations linked to the movements of precesion and nutation. Once those coincided into an extreme inclination of the globe, this could start the Earth Surface drifting, by gradually melting the ice caps due to their new position regarding the Sun. I made a book is talking a bit about it for exposing my speculation. You will find it at General Philosopy section "Book of philosophy." I hope you will have the time for enjoying it. Kind regards.

On 3/22/2021 at 1:28 AM, Cheyennegregory said:

Thanks

2 hours ago, Jacobus said:

Hello friend. 

In my consideration there must be several factors helping to it. However I strongly considered there could happen due to a surfaces drifting. That gets triggered by those oscillations linked to the movements of precesion and nutation. Once those coincided into an extreme inclination of the globe, this could start the Earth Surface drifting, by gradually melting the ice caps due to their new position regarding the Sun. I made a book is talking a bit about it for exposing my speculation. You will find it at General Philosopy section "Book of philosophy." I hope you will have the time for enjoying it. Kind regards.

Hello, jacobus and welcome.

I note cheyennegregory hasn't been back since last March, but I see that you are both from the more northerly parts of the globe.

I would recommend you both read this book by the late physicist, Sir Fred Hoyle.

Fred offers calculations as to the energetics of both the starting and stopping of ice ages and then devotes several chapters to examining mechanisms that can lead to both starting and stopping of ice ages and most importantly the timescale over which occurs. I cannot stress enought the brevity of the starting timescale.
This brevity is due to the energetics of solar radiation and partly, but only partly due to the solar and terrestrial relative positioning and requires another powerful event to activate the on and off triggers.

ice1.jpg.9411b61b7b2e08c00f8e508208e18dc1.jpg

4 hours ago, Jacobus said:

I made a book is talking a bit about it for exposing my speculation. You will find it at General Philosopy section "Book of philosophy."

!

Moderator Note

This is completely off-topic. Please don't hijack someone else's threads. And no more advertising, please. We aren't here for you to promote your book.