How many trust that chewable Calcium Carbonate (smoothies) contain 750mgs of product.

JayTony

1. I find it hard to believe that the Smoothies I enjoy actually provide the same 750mgs that the stone-like tablets I also consume trying to fight bone loss. It would be a real favor to find out I'm wrong. Somethings are too good to be true, in my experience. Hoping for good news from this forum.😀

My thoughts: who is claiming these Smoothies offer 750mgs? 750mgs of what? Which Smoothies? Who is making them? The contents of a Smoothie may not be infinitely variable, but they can certainly differ greatly. I think for you to get good news from the forum you may need to supply more information.

17 minutes ago, JayTony said:
  1. I find it hard to believe that the Smoothies I enjoy actually provide the same 750mgs that the stone-like tablets I also consume trying to fight bone loss. It would be a real favor to find out I'm wrong. Somethings are too good to be true, in my experience. Hoping for good news from this forum.😀

Is it hard to believe because you are expecting hard chunks in your smoothie?

I'm no chemist, but if ground fine enough it would be difficult to discern. In addition, calcium carbonate does dissolve in water, although various factors affect how well.

5 minutes ago, Area54 said:

My thoughts: who is claiming these Smoothies offer 750mgs? 750mgs of what? Which Smoothies? Who is making them? The contents of a Smoothie may not be infinitely variable, but they can certainly differ greatly. I think for you to get good news from the forum you may need to supply more information.

https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lookup.cfm?setid=c22944b8-8733-4689-be0c-f320467f79ea&version=15

"Active ingredient (per tablet) Calcium Carbonate USP 750 mg"

7 minutes ago, Sensei said:

Thank you for the information. I should have paid attention to the thread title, not just the OP content. However, my main point remains the variability of Smoothies.

24 minutes ago, JayTony said:
  1. I find it hard to believe

Argument from Incredulity is extremely weak, and always a good sign that you need to dig deeper for supportive evidence.

26 minutes ago, JayTony said:
  1. the Smoothies I enjoy actually provide the same 750mgs that the stone-like tablets I also consume trying to fight bone loss.

It sounds like you equate the hardness of the pills with their ability to strengthen your bones, which is an unreasonable bias on your part. Calcium performs its role wrt bone support without requiring specific delivery methods. Tums, for instance, are chewable, so they're supposed to be broken down before being swallowed. IIRC, calcium is absorbed by stomach acids anyway. Vitamin D helps with absorption as well, which you're probably getting from your smoothie.

5 minutes ago, swansont said:

This would be an issue of a regulatory agency monitoring tests of the product. Does someone monitor such products in your country?

Yes, Yank here. I thought it would be difficult to render Calcium Carbonate to a semi-liquid. Tums do not advertise to have Vitamin D included. I am not offering an argument, perhaps my questioning this product is misplaced in a science forum. I think the term" smoothie" might have misled one member. Smoothies can be a flavored ice treat. I was questioning Tums as 'Phi for All' referenced.

39 minutes ago, JayTony said:

I thought it would be difficult to render Calcium Carbonate to a semi-liquid.

It can be suspended in a liquid easily, but not converted. 

41 minutes ago, JayTony said:

Tums do not advertise to have Vitamin D included.

I always wondered about that. Most sources claim some extra vD makes us store the calcium better, and many folks don't get as much sun as they used to. Tums should really add some vitamin D, imo. That's not me prescribing anything for anybody, though.

44 minutes ago, JayTony said:

I was questioning Tums as 'Phi for All' referenced.

It looks like the Tums Smoothies product has calcium carbonate (750 mg) as well as elemental calcium (300 mg) to address deficiencies. Since these are over-the-counter, if you do have a documented vitamin deficiency, you should check with your doctor to make sure this doesn't conflict with any protocols they may have in place for you.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2021 at 2:51 PM, swansont said:

This would be an issue of a regulatory agency monitoring tests of the product. Does someone monitor such products in your country?

Just stumbled on this disclaimer......found it interesting. How many commonly used products have not been evaluated by the FDA ?                              image.thumb.png.b3d86cb449aad7e33e26320f99ef4eb3.png

1 hour ago, JayTony said:

Just stumbled on this disclaimer......found it interesting. How many commonly used products have not been evaluated by the FDA ?                             

There are two separate issues. Does the product contain what is claimed (which was your question, AFAICT), and is the treatment safe and effective. The FDA would be involved with the second issue if this were a drug. Most supplements are not regulated in the US as drugs, but probably would be in terms of food safety.

9 minutes ago, swansont said:

There are two separate issues. Does the product contain what is claimed (which was your question, AFAICT), and is the treatment saf and effective. The FDA would be involved with the second issue if this were a drug. Most supplements are not regulated in the US.

Point taken, thank you....I forgot to credit the link supplied by Sensei..image.png.29bf849647332fbf6b8223066f598381.png

Edited by JayTony

15 hours ago, JayTony said:

Point taken, thank you....I forgot to credit the link supplied by Sensei..image.png.29bf849647332fbf6b8223066f598381.png

Addressing your point about credibility of a smoothy containing CaCO3, this is certainly possible if it is dispersed in colloidal form.  

In my former work in the lubricants industry, we used to put "overbased" detergents in engine oils. These contained sometimes quite high amounts of colloidal CaCO3, which was useful to neutralise the acids formed by the combustion of the fuel, thereby avoiding corrosion of the cylinder liners in the engine. The CaCO3 was bound inside "micelles" of detergent molecules, forming a sort of cage around each sub-micron particle of what was effectively chalk, allowing it to remain suspended in the oil almost indefinitely. 

I believe the same idea is used in medicines such as "milk of magnesia", which is used for heartburn - though the suspended material in that case is Mg(OH)2 rather than CaCO3.

However I have no idea what substance is used to stabilise the suspension in these cases. 

13 hours ago, exchemist said:

Addressing your point about credibility of a smoothy containing CaCO3, this is certainly possible if it is dispersed in colloidal form.  

In my former work in the lubricants industry, we used to put "overbased" detergents in engine oils. These contained sometimes quite high amounts of colloidal CaCO3, which was useful to neutralise the acids formed by the combustion of the fuel, thereby avoiding corrosion of the cylinder liners in the engine. The CaCO3 was bound inside "micelles" of detergent molecules, forming a sort of cage around each sub-micron particle of what was effectively chalk, allowing it to remain suspended in the oil almost indefinitely. 

I believe the same idea is used in medicines such as "milk of magnesia", which is used for heartburn - though the suspended material in that case is Mg(OH)2 rather than CaCO3.

However I have no idea what substance is used to stabilise the suspension in these cases. 

Very informative.  Thank you, I've not one chemistry course and your post "hits the nail on the head".     👍 

Edited by JayTony