Can I say that Time is Linear?

1 hour ago, Conscious Energy said:

Can I say that time is Linear since in every point of space it is pointing to the Future?

No, for instance the Japanese tsunami arrived at different time's, along the coast; depending on the topography of the ocean floor...

Since 2 observers in different inertial frames won't agree on the rate that time passes, I don't think time can be called linear.  I think sequential is a better term since observers will agree in the order that related events occur

2 hours ago, Conscious Energy said:

Hello Community!

One moment follows the other in every point of the volume space is. There is no point of space where time could flaw backwards. Can I say that time is Linear since in every point of space it is pointing to the Future?

Clearly the answer is no, time is not linear.

I liked both the answers given so far, +1 to dimreeper and bufofrog.

Just to add that perhaps linear is the wrong word for what I think mean.

I think you mean homogeneous, which is the posh scientifc way of saying that every second of time is the same as every other second.

Scientifically linear means something other than lined up or in a line.
It refers to some very specific mathematical properties.
So specific that even most straight line graphs are not linear!

2 hours ago, dimreepr said:

No, for instance the Japanese tsunami arrived at different time's, along the coast; depending on the topography of the ocean floor...

I don’t see how that’s a relevant example

What 'time' are you referring to ?

Proper time is necessarily linear, as the clock moves along your wordline.

"In relativity, proper time along a timelike world line is defined as the time as measured by a clock following that line. It is thus independent of coordinates, and is a Lorentz scalar.[1] The proper time interval between two events on a world line is the change in proper time."

Co-ordinate time is not necessarily linear.

"Coordinate time is the time between two events as measured by an observer using that observer's own method of assigning a time to an event. In the special case of an inertial observer in special relativity, the time is measured using the observer's clock and the observer's definition of simultaneity."

Quotes from      Proper time - Wikipedia

7 hours ago, Conscious Energy said:

Hello Community!

One moment follows the other in every point of the volume space is. There is no point of space where time could flaw backwards. Can I say that time is Linear since in every point of space it is pointing to the Future?

My problem with this question is "linear in what?" "Linear" implies a relationship between two variables...

1 hour ago, joigus said:

My problem with this question is "linear in what?" "Linear" implies a relationship between two variables...

Better than “time is a flat circle” because I have no idea what that’s supposed mean.

10 minutes ago, joigus said:

Where do these words come from? Sorry, I'm lost.

A saying I have seen/heard people utter.

Google tells me it's a way of saying that history repeats itself (from Nietzsche, apparently)

On 3/14/2021 at 9:24 PM, MigL said:

Proper time is necessarily linear, as the clock moves along your wordline.

"In relativity, proper time along a timelike world line is defined as the time as measured by a clock following that line. It is thus independent of coordinates, and is a Lorentz scalar.[1] The proper time interval between two events on a world line is the change in proper time."

Co-ordinate time is not necessarily linear.

"Coordinate time is the time between two events as measured by an observer using that observer's own method of assigning a time to an event. In the special case of an inertial observer in special relativity, the time is measured using the observer's clock and the observer's definition of simultaneity."

Quotes from      Proper time - Wikipedia

Thank you MigL

It seems to be true for every pont of Space or the whole realm as One, the reason we can call it space(time). 

Edited by Conscious Energy
clearer

On 3/14/2021 at 3:06 PM, Bufofrog said:

Since 2 observers in different inertial frames won't agree on the rate that time passes, I don't think time can be called linear.  I think sequential is a better term since observers will agree in the order that related events occur

Would the 2 observers in the different inertial frames would agree that the observed point of space gets older by every upcoming perceived moment independent from the framework of the observers. 

On 3/14/2021 at 3:34 PM, Conscious Energy said:

Can I say that time is Linear

I am sorry but I won't permit you say that :) :)

good joke. :)

to me ,  yes. but according to some articles ,no. 

Edited by ahmet

18 minutes ago, ahmet said:

I am sorry but I won't permit you say that :) :)

I am very happy you can not permit me to say that, but happy for your semi objection :) 

Maybe you could express/reason why You think time is linear or not?

On 3/14/2021 at 3:05 PM, dimreepr said:

Every point of space what the cunami will hit in different co-ordinate times existed before and will exist after the impact. 

Edited by Conscious Energy

13 minutes ago, Conscious Energy said:

Maybe you could express/reason why You think time is linear or not?

to me ,no. because it is not changeable,or personally I have not seen any application in such a way.  however some interesting but real cases have potentiality  to or might show that at least not.

generally physicists (especially who want to be known as popular) have tendency to comment on this issue and most of those I saw were not claiming that it was linear.  

Edited by ahmet

6 hours ago, Conscious Energy said:

Would the 2 observers in the different inertial frames would agree that the observed point of space gets older by every upcoming perceived moment independent from the framework of the observers. 

A point in space implies that it is a 3rd inertial frame.  So I would say both the observers would see there own clock ticking at a normal rate and they would both agree that a clock in the 3rd frame ticked slower.  However, the observers would not agree on how much more slowly the 3rd clock was ticking.