Flooding the planet

Mender

20 minutes ago, Mender said:

Sounds quite risky

Did you hear the sonic boom yesterday about 3 pm ? We live in Somerset too and we heard a boom ... apparently caused by a meteorite going over above jersey?

No we didn't notice the boom. We only learned about it from the News.

Then I wondered if it was due the the volcanic eruption in Iceland.
The last one (2010) could apparently beheard in the UK.

31 minutes ago, Mender said:

Sounds quite risky

Did you hear the sonic boom yesterday about 3 pm ? We live in Somerset too and we heard a boom ... apparently caused by a meteorite going over above jersey?

Why do you keep hijacking your own thread?  If you are done with the flood stuff, then start a new thread for your other questions or thoughts.

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2021 at 1:39 AM, timo said:

Where would the water for the rain come from?

In the bible it didn't come from the rain. The water came from the ground.

Which is at least consistent with the fact there's some 2x oceans worth of water in the Earth's crust. At certain temperatures the water would have to be released from its mineral bonds.

9 minutes ago, DeepSeaBase said:

In the bible it didn't come from the rain. The water came from the ground.

Not until modern translations changed it from "I will cause it to rain" to "I will bring the floodwaters". Genesis was written in Hebrew originally. So you're wrong, the Bible definitely mentions rain, forty days and forty nights of it.

9 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Not until modern translations changed it from "I will cause it to rain" to "I will bring the floodwaters". Genesis was written in Hebrew originally. So you're wrong, the Bible definitely mentions rain, forty days and forty nights of it.

Genesis 8:2 - Now the springs of the deep and the floodgates of the heavens had been closed, and the rain had stopped falling from the sky.

Particularly the "springs of the deep". The source of water therefore would be the crust, the fact it also rained is irrelevant, I think. At least in terms of where, hypothetically, the water came from.

Now 12,800 years ago is it? Something like that... We've determined that the greenland icesheet along with most of the northern ice sheet during the ice age was temporarily vaporized by a meteorite impact.

If true, it also could be a very real and known event that would create the flood story so many cultures retain.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/11/massive-crater-under-greenland-s-ice-points-climate-altering-impact-time-humans

So whether or not an ocean's worth of water was released from the crust, something is likely certain. Some 100-200 feet of sea level rise came crashing down across the whole earth in a torrential and cataclysmic impact 1/3rd the size of the impact that senta wall of fire 6,000 miles in every direction and destroyed most land animals bigger than a rat, some 65 million years ago.

Edited by DeepSeaBase

2 minutes ago, DeepSeaBase said:

Genesis 8:2 - Now the springs of the deep and the floodgates of the heavens had been closed, and the rain had stopped falling from the sky.

Particularly the "springs of the deep". The source of water therefore would be the crust, the fact it also rained is irrelevant, I think. At least in terms of where, hypothetically, the water came from.

Again, a big problem with your translation, which seems to have been written after we realized more water was needed if the flood story was to be believed. The Hebrew reads:

The ma’ayanot (springs) also of the tehom and the floodgates of Shomayim were stopped, and the geshem from Shomayim was restrained;

And the waters receded from on ha’aretz continually; and after the end of the hundred and fifty days the waters were abated.

So it reads more like the rivers, springs, and other sources of normal, continuous waterflow were temporarily halted after the forty days/nights of rain had stopped, presumably to allow the excess to drain away. It's very clear in the Hebrew text that the rain caused the flooding, and the Earth supposedly sucked up the excess. Even when they mention "fountains of the deep" bursting open, it's in response to all the added rain.  

4 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Again, a big problem with your translation, which seems to have been written after we realized more water was needed if the flood story was to be believed. The Hebrew reads:

So it reads more like the rivers, springs, and other sources of normal, continuous waterflow were temporarily halted after the forty days/nights of rain had stopped, presumably to allow the excess to drain away. It's very clear in the Hebrew text that the rain caused the flooding, and the Earth supposedly sucked up the excess. Even when they mention "fountains of the deep" bursting open, it's in response to all the added rain.  

I'm not quite so sure...tehom is quite literally the "bottom of the ocean"or "abyss" in Greek. Or the "primordial waters" which to me is more of an Egyptian reference...or Genesis reference to the waters in the void...which would suggest some creation parallel in the flood. A new creation? hmm...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tehom

It looks like Genesis 7:11 also gets into this word Tehom.

Edited by DeepSeaBase

5 minutes ago, DeepSeaBase said:

I'm not quite so sure...tehom is quite literally the "bottom of the ocean"or "abyss" in Greek. Or the "primordial waters" which to me is more of an Egyptian reference...or Genesis reference to the waters in the void...which would suggest some creation parallel in the flood. A new creation? hmm...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tehom

It looks like Genesis 7:11 also gets into this word Tehom.

It still refers to a vessel that's overflowing because of adding more liquid to cause that. The mentions of floodwaters rising up are preceded by divine instructions to prepare for the floods that will happen when God makes Heaven open up and rain down to cleanse his mistake.

And even that gets changed to a hundred and fifty days of rain and flooding before Heaven and the floodgates were stopped. Like many Old Testament references, there are conflicting elements that don't bear close scrutiny, so why try to pin science to it?

• 7 months later...

Assuming the earth was cooled with water to begin with, and the earth has a molten core, and the tectonic plates are just that, plates, then logic says eventually as all weight above core would equalize and as that happens the intersecting point of a molten core and crust, the bottom of the crust melts leaving only water on the surface

2 hours ago, Jamey said:

Assuming the earth was cooled with water to begin with, and the earth has a molten core, and the tectonic plates are just that, plates, then logic says eventually as all weight above core would equalize and as that happens the intersecting point of a molten core and crust, the bottom of the crust melts leaving only water on the surface

No that's wrong. There is instead a fractionation process occurring in the mantle, which you do not mention. Volcanism tends to erupt less dense material to the surface, where it builds up continents, which float on the denser material like  rafts. The evidence is that the area of the continents has grown with time rather than decreased. The surface water occupies the hollows where there are no continental blocks.

• 2 months later...