Flooding the planet

Mender

13 minutes ago, Mender said:

Why do you call them unsupported belief systems when in 2020 over 54% of the worlds population are either Christian or Islamic believers and only 19% are atheists 

And of course termite mounds aren’t accidental .. as I say they have a very specific construction design

And as for discussing the bible  which of my claims would you like to discuss?

Because of convention and generational hand me down notions. Ancient man, without the benefits of science, needed to explain the wonders of the universe and world around him. He saw gods in rivers, mountains, the Sun, Moon etc, to explain those wonders. Now science does that job with the support of impirical evidence at least back to t+10-45 seconds. But the creationist beliefs in some is hard to elliminate.

And of course most of us understand that the bible is nothing more then an obscure book, written by obscure men, in an obscure age and an obscure manner.

Now can we get back to science without silly religious/creationist undertones?

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/evidence-for-a-flood-102813115/

Edited by beecee

17 minutes ago, Mender said:

Why do you call them unsupported belief systems when in 2020 over 54% of the worlds population are either Christian or Islamic believers and only 19% are atheists

The claim is not that the belief systems lack followers, but that the belief systems lack substantive evidence to support them. Followers of these systems do so on the basis of faith, or upon perceived (but not independently verified) revelation. Faith and personal revelation seem viable bases for belief by many people. They offer very little, if anything, to science, though they do provide much to some scientists.

On 3/18/2021 at 10:23 PM, MigL said:

Post quotes from the Bible (on a science forum) and you will be ignored [...].

I was already chuckling when you posted this, and the thread seems to prove this part of your prediction wrong. In my experience, it is the non-scientific content that get the most attention on sfn. Probably because it is easier to respond to. I certainly put less effort into this post than into science-related posts. Possibly even less than into my one-liner that is the first reply in this thread when I thought this was a genuine question.

But if you would like to discuss any particular point ... how about circumcision ... it has become very clear that the health benefitts are huge as it prevents a vast array of diseases in later life and the best time to do it is earlier rather than later again for a range of medical reasons but 5000 years ago when Abraham was given the instruction to do it in genesis 17 none of these benefits could have been known

But if you would like to discuss any particular point ... how about circumcision ... it has become very clear that the health benefitts are huge as it prevents a vast array of diseases in later life and the best time to do it is earlier rather than later again for a range of medical reasons but 5000 years ago when Abraham was given the instruction to do it

by the way .. what does the “-1” in red under my name refer to?

But it is a genuine question ... I don’t pretend I’m not a believer but I am very interested in what science has discovered about the origins of man and the planet we call home

But there seems to be many”missing links” in the science that is taught in schools as fact rather than theory and I fwould rather be informed  so I turned to you guys as a possible source of truth

16 minutes ago, Mender said:

by the way .. what does the “-1” in red under my name refer to?

It means someone did not like your post. That commonly happens when you do something like make false claims, fail to support your assertions, etc.

Given that this is a science forum you are expected to participate in an appropriate way, and not, for example, as you might participate on a religious forum.

If you say something like "this obviously points to a “designer”" you need to back up that assertion with a reasoned argument and scientific level supporting evidence.

But a design does point to a designer ... one cannot exist without the other or it would be just coincidental and science is a system of drawing conclusions and then finding proofs to back up the theory and Darwin’s theory of the origins of man Is still just that a theory so why all the struggle to defend it?

Oh and I love monty python

22 minutes ago, Mender said:

But it is a genuine question ... I don’t pretend I’m not a believer but I am very interested in what science has discovered about the origins of man and the planet we call home

Genuine question? OK, I'll accept that. Let's start on the origins of planets. Planets more or less were formed from the left over debris, after the formation of a star from a gravitationaly activated acretion disk collapse. This was the general hypothesis for many years until in the last couple of decades, we saw evidence of that hypothesis in other stellar systems and planets, in different time lines of formation. We are now pretty certain of that. 

27 minutes ago, Mender said:

But there seems to be many”missing links” in the science that is taught in schools as fact rather than theory and I fwould rather be informed  so I turned to you guys as a possible source of truth

Scientific theories are our best estimation/explanation of something, that remains "theory" in case new observational and/or experimental evidence comes to light, as per the previous explantion re planets. Of course as theoretical predictions and observations continue to be validated, those theories gain in certainty over timeeg: SR/GR the BB, and one that is now 100% certain, the theory of the evolution of life.

Yes, the BB explantion of the evolution of the universe, does have "missing links"as you put it, but it still explains much, and remembering it goes back to 13.8 billion years.

1 minute ago, Mender said:

and Darwin’s theory of the origins of man Is still just that a theory

You clearly don't realize it but this statement is a clear message to all here that you do not understand science. I would not be arrogant enough to tell a doctor why stents should not be used, and you should be careful about making claims regarding things you do not understand.

Just now, Mender said:

What constitutes a scientific level when neither side can prove its assertions

The preponderence of evidence. eg: as theories continue to align with predictions, like GR predicting gravitational waves a 100 years ago, they grow in certainty. Again the theory of evolution of life is 100% certain.

I’ve seen blind eyes open and cancer healed and talked to people declared dead ... I’ve seen limbs grow in front of my eyes and deaf ears hear ... all with long term evidence  ... sadly science seems to discount such “miracles”as anomalies mostly because they don’t fit into the “scientific” landscape and cannot be explained but that doesn’t make them untrue

4 minutes ago, Mender said:

I’ve seen blind eyes open and cancer healed and talked to people declared dead ... I’ve seen limbs grow in front of my eyes and deaf ears hear ... all with long term evidence  ... sadly science seems to discount such “miracles”as anomalies mostly because they don’t fit into the “scientific” landscape and cannot be explained but that doesn’t make them untrue

You will excuse my doubt/s as to what you claim?

3 minutes ago, Mender said:

Have you ever investigated such claims?

The people making them never seem to provide evidence, opting instead to tap-dance around the issues and/or focus on perceived slights when others don’t just credulously buy in.

The people who can testify to the truth of my claims are alive and fit and healthy

It seems that you have closed your mind to a host of possibilities 

I will leave you to your deliberations if you want ,or I can stay and discuss my claims if you would like me to ...

9 minutes ago, Mender said:

Does that mean you cannot accept the testimony of an honest man

Not without evidence!

8 minutes ago, Mender said:

I will leave you to your deliberations if you want ,or I can stay and discuss my claims if you would like me to ...

Please SUPPORT your claim with evidence. Then we can discuss.

I can assure you if you provide scientific evidence you will have a very fruitful discussion here.

I mend shoes for a living and one of my customers had to have her right shoe built up because she had one leg longer than the other ... after we prayed for her her leg grew in front of us and her legs became the same length and sumo she subsequently had to have all her shoes adjusted and the build-ups on the right shoes she had previously worn removed to suit her new balance ... I still have all the build- ups as a reminder ... would that serve as evidence if you saw them?

Ian McCormack has written books about his death from being stung many times by box jellyfish and was pronounced dead and placed in the hospital morgue .. 2 days later he came back to life .. that is evidence you can check .. 

5 minutes ago, Mender said:

I mend shoes for a living and one of my customers had to have her right shoe built up because she had one leg longer than the other ... after we prayed for her her leg grew in front of us and her legs became the same length and sumo she subsequently had to have all her shoes adjusted and the build-ups on the right shoes she had previously worn removed to suit her new balance ... I still have all the build- ups as a reminder ... would that serve as evidence if you saw them?

Thus far you are telling us a story. Presumably her doctor was amazed and published an article on her situation in a medical publication. That article would be a good start.

The lady herself is a nurse so  there are plenty of professional people who can attest to this

There is a publication by the Vatican that is an interesting read as well called “ making a case for medical miracles”  where exhaustive research has been undertaken to verify claims of miracles over the past 400 years and in the Vatican archives are the evidence of their findings and the book is a collection of this evidence 

But all this is academic really as I came on to the forum not to prove my beliefs but to understand where science is regarding the theory of evolution ... I see from your posts that the situation hasn’t really changed and the arguments remain the same ..  it is not for man to know the day nor the hour ... Jesus Christ  Matthew 25 :13

22 minutes ago, Mender said:

The lady herself is a nurse so  there are plenty of professional people who can attest to this

There is a publication by the Vatican that is an interesting read as well called “ making a case for medical miracles”  where exhaustive research has been undertaken to verify claims of miracles over the past 400 years and in the Vatican archives are the evidence of their findings and the book is a collection of this evidence 

Remember, you are on a science forum. You need to provide scientific evidence. That doesn't mean people saying "I swear, it's true!", or documents provided  by a group dedicated to the supernatural. If you cannot do this, we have nothing to discuss.

2 hours ago, Mender said:

I’ve seen limbs grow in front of my eyes

Really?  You have seen a human being grow a limb with your own eyes?  Do you honestly think any sane person believes you?  I think that you should seek help.  Take care and good luck.