Questions on Thermodynamic Free Energy.

JohnSSM

4 minutes ago, JohnSSM said:

Hmmm...when i started reading about free energy, all the posts i ran into used the water equilibrium example.

Because it is a simple case. And because of its simplicity, it's also fairly uninformative. You're not creating any complexity here - just warm water.  

14 hours ago, sethoflagos said:

But mastering just standard thermodynamics is a major undertaking, and after a 40-odd year career development mainly focused on its application in the energy sector, I still often feel that I've only scratched the surface.

14 hours ago, sethoflagos said:

That level of understanding takes work, A great deal of work. And if you request help, as we all should do when we can't see the wood for the trees, then you really need to be switched to 'receive' rather than 'transmit'.

The latter comment that I have bolded relates to most of us, most of the time and reveals that in your "40-odd year career development" you learnt a great deal more than just thermodynamics. Thank you for the timely reminder. My way of expressing the concept is that there is a reason we have two ears, but only one mouth.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, altaylar2000 said:

Not sure, but it's probably sweeping under the rug the question of energy transfer with radiation, I think termodinamics always do it, by this reason there are always very very confusing explanations

Thermodynamics works perfectly well to address and include radiative heat transfer.