Concerted DNA integration vs non-concerted

MarkDv

I'm reading an article and I just stuck with it. I cannot get the difference.
Tried to look around, got some idea but still not clear. 
Could somebody explain it to me in simple words or give me a link where it is explained, please? I couldn't find anything that could clarify it for me.
Thank you.

Let's start off with an example using a string of viral genes with identical long terminal repeats (LTR's) on each end containing a few hundred base pairs. Concerted DNA integration takes both LTR ends and plugs them into a single target. Essentially making a loop. The purpose of which is that when one LTR gets mutated the second will automatically be mutated. And to tell you the truth, that's all I know about it.

I really appreciate your reply but let me try to go a bit further...

Then, non-concerted integration would be the one when only only one LTR is inserted? ...  Probably not...

And also I didn't get this:

Essentially making a loop

They talk about double-stranded DNA integration. What loop do mean here?

The article:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC98978/

Thanks for your reply!

4 hours ago, MarkDv said:

And also I didn't get this:

Essentially making a loop

They talk about double-stranded DNA integration. What loop do mean here?

It's only how I visualize the application. I would seem to me that if both LTR's are plugged into the same target then it may not mean the target is more than an insertion into a single base pair in the DNA strand? What I do know is that there a lot science doesn't know about this process. I mean, if cholesterol acts as an inhibitor to the flippage, or even an inhibitor to reversing the flippage to a floppage? Then it could be an answer to what you initially were asking about? I really don't know enough to keep from asking questions myself, though. Such as: Is this a dynamic that one could use, or is using, as a way of performing gene splicing using a string of genes instead of just one?

I know there is information out there, but as with any such finer detailed subjects, I would have to learn a whole set of terminologies to follow what the data is explaining. But for some reason I gather that science hasn't really worked out all of the processes regarding LTR insertion mechanisms? But I might agree with you that non concerted DNA insertion involves one LTR end applied to one target. But the other LTR end wouldn't be left hanging so it should be involved in it's own insertion process somewhere? And there may be a limit to where along the DNA molecule that could physically happen depending on the length of the gene string and the number of base pairs in the LTR itself. The possibilities may also differ in respect to whether or not one is talking about mtDNA loops or nuDNA strings that are open ended.

So much for what at first looked like a simple (on the surface) OP question, eh? ;)

Edited by nuDAN

22 hours ago, nuDAN said:

So much for what at first looked like a simple (on the surface) OP question, eh? ;)

Yes... 

I checked several articles and it seems that everywhere they say "concerted" or "non-concerted" integration like something obvious for everybody. That's why I got an impression that I can't get something relatively simple.

Thanks for your help anyway. And I have to dig a bit more.