Request for friendship by Fatima Hanson

I got spam email today from someone. Here is the email:

"Hi, How are you doing today, i just came across your profile and it really interested me to contact you, i hope we get to know more about each other, share ideas, meet someday and i would like to learn more from you, please contact me back soon via deleted so i can tell you more about myself okay"

Could be legit, neverknow, but if she/he has never met me before and is saying all these things like meeting up then it probably means they are trying to do something funny. Can they be banned based on me thinking she is upto something even though she/he hasn't done anything yet? They are also following me.

I think most of us here know how to 'handle' ourselves on the internet.
I was polite in my reply.
I informed her/him that I have almost a decade of posts through which people can 'get to know' me.

Or maybe Science Forums is becoming the new Facebook ( or Tinder ? 😮 )

7 hours ago, MigL said:

I was polite in my reply.

Well , when I log on, I usually look at private messages before checking threads.

So I replied to PM.

I wasn't sure but I thought I would give the poste the benefit of the doubt.

Then I went to the activity tab and immediately noticed the long list of recipients.

Here is the test of my reply.

I am posting this because I think the information might be useful to Alex and newboy Toby in another of their threads.

Hello, Fatima,

What is your interest in Science?

Most queries are best dealt with in threads on the main forums so that all members can benefit from any answers offered.

Private messages are reserved for things like assisting someone with their private reasearch or thesis, which may also be confidential until published.

These can be at any level, including school, where you might have a greater wish to preserve personal details.

I look forward to welcoming you in your first thread.

Edited by studiot