Game development idea character movement/automation help

fredreload

I want to make a game with Unity 3D. I have not decided if it should be in 2D or 3D. The idea is like this. If you've played Command and Conquer then you know you can make an infantry camp. And my game would start out with a mercenary camp and I can hire people to kill zombies(randomly generated on the map), or work in a company to get money. Now if you ask me why killing zombie does not get you money I would say I have no idea cuz I just thought of this idea. The unique part about this game is the character's movements are all automated. Meaning they would explore the map and kill zombies by themselves, same goes for going to the company and working to earn money. As you know in Unity 3D you can play scripts inside an object, but I have not really worked on a 3D intelligent bot before. This sort of bot only exist in MMORPG macro if you know what I mean. So I might keep it in 2D, just to make it simple. I have not touch Unity 3D since 2014, but I think this idea is golden. Let me know what you think and how I can get this character scripts to work.

P.S. If you say Command and Conquer has done it before, no have they have not. The difference is this game would have the characters automated in their task. Like search and destroy.

P.S. Yes the Command and Conquer AI, but that is not a game = =, hmm

You can customize the mercenaries with weapons purchased from a shop or drop from zombies(The mercenaries have their own inventory). The default weapon is a fist. And once you get a weapon you can implement different stats.

Yes it will be wave based, but you get to control one of the unit in FPS style, the rest are your comrades. I think I want to make the base invincible though, still deciding.

Yes it is a little bit like War Craft III in a sense combined with FPS

12 hours ago, fredreload said:

The unique part about this game is the character's movements are all automated.

11 hours ago, fredreload said:

No I do not want to make a TD, I want it more RPG based

9 hours ago, fredreload said:

you get to control one of the unit in FPS style

Sorry but I think you need to think through what you want to create and how to present it. It is tricky to sort out what kind of computer science aspects you wish to discuss. The contradictions between you posts does not help. 

If you want to incorporate FPS*in the gameplay I think it would be more efficient to start from something else than a comparison with Command and Conquer. AFAIK the Command and Conquer franchise does not incorporate FPS gameplay (yet). 

12 hours ago, fredreload said:

P.S. If you say Command and Conquer has done it before, no have they have not. The difference is this game would have the characters automated in their task. Like search and destroy.

That may depend on which release in the Command and Conquer franchise you mean. Ever tried the "guard mode"?

Side note: I played Command and Conquer a lot; I got Red Alert for Christmas in the 90's. 

*) First person shooter

Edited by Ghideon

23 hours ago, Ghideon said:

Sorry but I think you need to think through what you want to create and how to present it. It is tricky to sort out what kind of computer science aspects you wish to discuss. The contradictions between you posts does not help. 

If you want to incorporate FPS*in the gameplay I think it would be more efficient to start from something else than a comparison with Command and Conquer. AFAIK the Command and Conquer franchise does not incorporate FPS gameplay (yet).

Ya you are right. As you know I am working with Unity 3D, I am deciding between a 2D platform or 3D platform. The 2D platform would consist of a mercenary camp and mercenary bots that would traverse the map and hunt zombies and get items. The 3D platform would consist of a wave like maze with a boss in the end, think of a Wacraft III td maze with a FPS aspect where you get to control a hero in a FPS manner.

I dunno, I think not as many people would purchase a 2D platform vs a 3D Doom type gameplay, but that is just from my perspective.

On 2/26/2021 at 9:46 PM, Ghideon said:

That may depend on which release in the Command and Conquer franchise you mean. Ever tried the "guard mode"?

Ya I know, the patrol key. C&C technically has it, I guess I need a different emphasis on my automation part.

On 2/27/2021 at 1:58 PM, fredreload said:

I dunno, I think not as many people would purchase a 2D platform vs a 3D Doom type gameplay, but that is just from my perspective.

I think there is more than 2D vs 3D to consider when it comes to commercial success like business model, platform, gameplay, part of a franchise etc. For instance compare a low-price 2D mobile game sold in large quantities vs a more expensive 3D shooter intended for consoles. 2D vs. 3D may not be the factor that decides popularity and income for the developers/publishers.