Cannot see the Night Sky

wotsallthis

The Mills Observatory should be on anybody's list of visits if they are interested in night sky watching.

It was built on a 'Law'  (Old Scots for hill) in a region with lots of clear night sky views.

Today the whole station is fully accessible and they do wonderful talks and presentations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mills_Observatory

Edited by studiot

On 2/24/2021 at 12:00 PM, wotsallthis said:

My wife and I always look forward to December to see the lovely Orion in the Southern sky. We live in London

There hasn't been one clear sky since December.

Why would this be please?

Keep well everyone

If you can afford a long-night vigil, you can see it in the Summer too. Slimmer chance of an overcast sky, perhaps. At least in Spain, where I live.

7 years ago, I was stopped on the outskirts of the village where I lived by the rural police --Guardia Civil--, who asked me for ID, and had lots of questions for me, none related to Orion. They couldn't believe I was crazy enough to relish in contemplation of "lovely Orion" at past 5AM almost in the middle of nowhere, trying to catch glimpses of Betelgeuse.

A kindred spirit.

Yes Klaynos, Last night wasn't bad (London). I saw Orion, but you had to stare for a moment until you spotted it. (7pm right outside my South facing window).

On a clear sky in previous years it's been such a fantastic "Light show" I would have paid to get in!

I'll try that observatory Studiot.

Alan

There are a few other public observatories in the UK. The Norman Lockyer one is the one I'm most familiar with. They do good public open evenings (pitched at the keen member of the public). 

Wotsallthis, the aerosol optical depth at the chilbolton observatory isn't particularly unusual at the moment (https://aeronet.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/data_display_aod_v3?site=Chilbolton&nachal=0&year=2021&month=2&day=27&aero_water=0&level=1&if_day=0&if_err=0&place_code=10&year_or_month=0).  I suspect you are suffering from local light pollution or not allowing hour night vision to adjust as much as previously. The human eye is an amazing thing with huge dynamic range but it can be slow and the ambient light matters massively. 

4 hours ago, joigus said:

7 years ago, I was stopped on the outskirts of the village where I lived by the rural police --Guardia Civil--, who asked me for ID, and had lots of questions for me, none related to Orion. They couldn't believe I was crazy enough to relish in contemplation of "lovely Orion" at past 5AM almost in the middle of nowhere, trying to catch glimpses of Betelgeuse.

A kindred spirit.

In 1986 when I obviously wore a younger man's clothes, I climbed up on our roof one evening, with my pair of 7x50's, to get a better view of Haley's Comet. After 15 minutes or so, a Police wagon stopped out the front and I was waived down. They told me that some woman from the four story units opposite my house, had rung them up re a "peeping Tom". It was only my Mrs coming out that convinced them of my innocent intentions!

Edited by beecee