Looking for vaccine research…

Promachos

Me again—guy with the anti-vaxxer pregnant wife trying to set her straight. Looking for medical case studies or vaccine research or that contrasts vaccinated with non-vaccinated siblings.

My wife believes good health and fitness can compensate for vaccines. So examples of differences in health outcomes between vaccinated and unvaccinated siblings is another line of evidence that shows vaccines actually work.

Could you take an alternative line? Argue thus:

"I'll accept for sake of argument that you are correct and you can resist adverse outcomes from a Covid infection. But that would just mean you have a first rate immune system, an immune system so good you are asymptomatic. Yet you are shedding viruses left, right and centre. And because you are confident you will have no problem you aren't being especially careful about social distancing. Result, you unknowingly infect half a dozen people, some of whom don't have your A1 status immune system and general good health. Do you want to be responsible for their misery and possible death?"

Pope Francis said it well recently:

"“I believe that ethically everyone should take the vaccine,” the Pope said in an interview with TV station Canale 5. “It is an ethical choice because you are gambling with your health, with your life, but you are also gambling with the lives of others.”

Anti-vaxxers are about "me" and not "us".

Edited by StringJunky

I understand the overlap. Perhaps it would have been more appropriate to just bump that old thread but some online communities don’t like that.

There is a fundamental difference. The crux of the approach last time was to contrast health to the efficacy of vaccines, but I wanted this thread to focus specifically on case studies or research that may exist that looks specifically at siblings where one is vaccinated and one isn’t. Or some similar such circumstance.

Guessing based on what’s been posted so far the well is running dry. Sorry.

For example—there is evidence to suggest children with an older sibling who has Autism are less likely to be vaccinated. It would be great if a follow-up study showed those particular kids had more vaccine-preventable illness compared to their sibling.

The only studies i am aware of are looking whether immunization of one sibling helps prevent other siblings from getting sick (e.g. If they are too young).

You won't have a lot of other cases as folks who deliberately don't vaccinate, usually do so for all kids. There of course you see a lot of preventable disease outbreaks.

On 2/19/2021 at 7:19 AM, StringJunky said:

Pope Francis said it well recently:

"“I believe that ethically everyone should take the vaccine,” the Pope said in an interview with TV station Canale 5. “It is an ethical choice because you are gambling with your health, with your life, but you are also gambling with the lives of others.”

Anti-vaxxers are about "me" and not "us".

Her response it likely to be - we're all about "me".    Folks get vaccinated for their own sake - not that of others.  

To answer to your current question; 

it is very unlikely you'll find studies showing the differences between vaccinated and unvaccinated siblings, as the same kind of comparison can be made with people that don't necessarily share the same genetics: despite the immune response of an individual also depends on genetic factors, a lot of research need to be conducted yet. Thus, you'll indeed find countless papers reporting the data of vaccines' effectiveness.

I've also read your previous thread, and if her way of thinking is influenced by her family, then probably she lacks of basis knwoledge about how vaccines really work, the functions of the immune system (lymphocites, antibodies) and concepts like herd immunity. However difficult this may sound, you could try to give her a simple explanation about one of these notions; the majority of people reading a scientific article without having the simplest foundations of the argument being analysed, will always have doubts about its reliability. It's completely normal.

You can also find several information on the Internet that suggest you how to approach anti-vaxxers (there is a PDF published by the WHO as well) and then you can improve your own strategy for making her understanding.