Updated to latest forum software

Dave

Hello all -- I hope you are doing well in these odd times and keeping safe.

This morning I've applied an update to our forum software, which obviously brings a few visual updates and changes in comparison to the older version. This was necessary to ensure we stay up to date with the latest security features and patches. However, from a functionality perspective, I believe this will mostly remain unchanged.

Please do let us know in this thread if you have any issues with the site, and I'll continue to monitor the site for problems.

Hi Dave, just checking if Tex still works.

[math]This\quad is\quad a\quad Test[/math]

[math]\oint\limits_v {{r^n}dv} [/math]

[math]\begin{array}{*{20}{c}}
   {{a_{11}}} & {{a_{12}}} & {{a_{13}}}  \\
   {\frac{{\partial \Omega }}{{\partial u}}} & {\frac{{\partial \Omega }}{{\partial v}}} & {\frac{{\partial \Omega }}{{\partial w}}}  \\
   {\frac{{{\partial ^2}\Omega }}{{\partial {u^2}}}} & {\frac{{{\partial ^2}\Omega }}{{\partial {v^2}}}} & {\frac{{{\partial ^2}\Omega }}{{\partial u\partial v}}}  \\
\end{array}[/math]

Update since no edit available

Still have to use the refresh to get the blighter to display.

Also the font is not longer crisp and clear on my screen.
Is this an aliasing problem ?

40 minutes ago, Curious layman said:

Nice, I like it, but there's a big grey circle over the like button. Is this deliberate or is it my computer? 

Also, can't sign out and there's no edit button. 

Quote function appears to be similar

You can use its auto merge function to update as I did until the edit button is restored.

Admin likely needs to configure the allowed edit window (how longer after post submission edit button remains available)

EDIT: Disregard. Edit button is part of the drop-down options on top-right of the post. Looks like an eclipses. 

Edited by iNow

Has anyone figured out where to find notifications, replies, etc. or how to get to our user profiles via mobile phone within the new software UI?

Also... lol on my previous post. Ellipse... stupid autocorrect 

Also missing notifications, link to profile, mark site as read, etc on mobile version 

In the recent activity area where new posts appear in the search results, clicking the url for the thread title used to take users to the last post read / oldest unread post. Clicking it now takes you to post #1 on page #1 and you then have to scroll to find the unread posts (even on threads with 37 pages).

On 2/13/2021 at 12:22 PM, studiot said:

Also the font is not longer crisp and clear on my screen. Is this an aliasing problem?

On the first point, I've added a small addition to the script to reload MathJax once content changes in-browser, so edits and quick replies should now show you the rendered math once they are submitted.

1 hour ago, Sensei said:

@Dave if you will compare computer version of the forum with mobile version of reply UI panel, you should see there are missing buttons e.g. subscript and superscript icons in mobile. Is it fixable?

Looks like they were removed from the toolbar, but I have re-added those for you now. If there are others that are desperately wanted then let me know and I can add those, too.

26 minutes ago, iNow said:

Also missing notifications, link to profile, mark site as read, etc on mobile version 

In the recent activity area where new posts appear in the search results, clicking the url for the thread title used to take users to the last post read / oldest unread post. Clicking it now takes you to post #1 on page #1 and you then have to scroll to find the unread posts (even on threads with 37 pages).

On mobile, Mark Site as Read is available if you click on the three lines at the top-right corner of the toolbar. This also shows your profile information if you need to edit it. Not sure about the recent activity; can't see an obvious setting for that within the control panel, but perhaps this is just a bug and can be fixed in a later release.

16 minutes ago, Dave said:
On 2/13/2021 at 12:22 PM, studiot said:

Also the font is not longer crisp and clear on my screen. Is this an aliasing problem?

On the first point, I've added a small addition to the script to reload MathJax once content changes in-browser, so edits and quick replies should now show you the rendered math once they are submitted.

Here goes, fingers and toes crossed.

[math]\frac{{dy}}{{dx}}\frac{{\Delta y}}{{\Delta x}}\frac{{\delta y}}{{\delta x}}\frac{{{\partial ^2}\Omega }}{{\partial {u^2}}}\frac{{{\partial ^2}\Omega }}{{\partial {v^2}}}\frac{{{\partial ^2}\Omega }}{{\partial u\partial v}}\mathop {\lim }\limits_{\delta x \to 0} [/math]

Edit using my newly found edit function.

BINGO.

Thanks, a Sunday treat.

Edited by studiot

5 minutes ago, Curious layman said:

Lol 😁 

Im on iPad. I hit the circle and no matter where I hit it, it goes green. 

Not that I want to down vote anyone, just curious. 

Looks like you need someone with an iPad. Just checked on my Android phone and the grey circle with a heart in it is there and I can choose to vote up and down.

1 minute ago, StringJunky said:

Looks like you need someone with an iPad. Just checked on my Android phone and the grey circle with a heart in it is there and I can choose to vote up and down.

If you have an iPhone, have a look on that and if it's the same as the iPad, it's probably an Apple software issue.

On 2/14/2021 at 11:08 PM, swansont said:

What does the hand at the bottom of an avatar mean? I only see it on newer members. Is that the connection?

If you will hover by mouse pointer that little icon on PC desktop/laptop machine there will appear bubble help with details "(...) joined recently". It changes with icon image. In your case it is shield and text "swansont is a moderator".

Hi, @Dave. Great work. Thank you.

I've found some issues though:

1) I always seem to appear in anonymous mode. I've tried clearing cookies, but it doesn't seem to work.

2) I cannot edit my posts anymore

3) Some inline maths don't seem to compile after refreshing

Point 3) seems to be due to introducing by copy and paste in rich-text format. Probably not an issue, but as I wasn't able to edit my comment, I couldn't fix it.

1 hour ago, joigus said:

Hi, @Dave. Great work. Thank you.

I've found some issues though:

1) I always seem to appear in anonymous mode. I've tried clearing cookies, but it doesn't seem to work.

2) I cannot edit my posts anymore

3) Some inline maths don't seem to compile after refreshing

Point 3) seems to be due to introducing by copy and paste in rich-text format. Probably not an issue, but as I wasn't able to edit my comment, I couldn't fix it.

Have you found this ?

edit1.jpg.1a415550b41a82fd0f9390ba3771f7cd.jpg

Voila!

edit2.jpg.f3ba32a73ac8bd1f57ae39b01ef3c3bb.jpg

@Dave

I now keep messing up an edit (and I see others making the same mistake)

This is because I naturally click on the button just below the bottom right of my post.

This is now the quote button and I start editing that.

Then the automatic merge kicks in when I click save so there is then a double copy.

As well as setting a trap for the unwary, like me, It really is an example of inefficient programming.

Two clicks where one formerly sufficed.