Blocking sounds

Primarygun

I want to block the sound from my neighbour irritating me all the time.

What should I consider the properties of sound? Speed?amplitude?

Why installing a solid door is more practical than a standard hollow-core interior door for me?

Secondly, should I try to reflect those waves, or absorb them with spongy lining?

I can't afford expensive materials as I don't want to tell my parents about this.

Buying some polystyrenes would be pleasing.

Don't wanna ask them. They used to be my friend but they changed their mind and the relationship between the two families is very tough. They never consider the others, so I don't think they would close thei doorway tightly.

I live in a flat like some apartments in the US, I guess, I watched a film showing one.

They never want to close their door. I don't know why.

I don't think letting the outsiders know what you're doing in your own house is pleasing.

Well.... I personaly think that going for the most simple solution 1`st is always the best option, before we start even thinking about getting all complicated and expensive and stuff!

what do you think?

if they make that much noise why not report them to the authorities, sounds like the relationship you have with them couldn't get any worse anyway.

P.S - might be good to borrow a big nasty dog incase they work out it was you who reported them!

Well.... I personaly think that going for the most simple solution 1`st is always the best option' date=' before we start even thinking about getting all complicated and expensive and stuff!

what do you think?[/quote']

Yes. I change my mind.

Besides replacing with solid door, please suggest me some ideas :)

Open your door, walk across to Their door, and Knock it, wait for an answer.

then say " I can hear almost everything that you`re doing and it`s disturbing me and studies, is there anything you can do to help me with this problem that you`re creating?"

how`s that?

A large part of sound-proofing is in having air-tight seals around doorways and windows. This is difficult and expensive. If the main sounds penetrating your house are in the bass region, pretty much the only thing you can do is build large sonic traps (dead air spaces which have low resonances) or insulate with dry sand between walls (absorbing sound energy directly). Like insulating a house for heat, so much depends upon what seem like insignificant details of construction. In sound studios we have built floating floors and used dense particle-board, as well as detached walls, dead-air cavities and resonating boxes, heavy insulation, and wedge-shaped foam which is expensive but getting cheaper.

A large part of sound-proofing is in having air-tight seals around doorways and windows.

What should I use to seal around the doorway? A dense particle-board, or some polystyrene?

The space around doorway is the main focus contributing to the problem

why don't you promote competition, natural selection and evolution by... fighting back? You're the one that's being passive right now.... and you're only going to get stepped on even more.

I suggest the following that will incoporate both of our ideas:

buy 16 alarm clocks and have it ring at half hour intervals between 0:00-8:00AM

seal your own room with the suggest material and prevent sound leaks.

have a nice night! Also if your going to seal your doors, you probably don't want to use glue, since they don't come off easily.

The egg cartons should work a treat. Just cover the offending wall/door. They work by reflecting the waves into the egg holders(squares of card with egg sized dimples) distorting the incoming waves. Alot of people claim they don't work but I have witnessed their effectiveness first hand. The only problem is, to be effective you pretty much need to cover the whole wall. They sound damping effect can be increased if you place foam between the wall and the cartons.

Hi.

Install an audio amplifier with the speaker aimed to the neighbor. The hard part is to locate a microphone in such a way that will not pick the speaker output but will pick the neighbors conversation (or noise).

Then you will be blasting them with their own noise. In a short while, they will close the door.

It depends much of the particularities of the building, windows, layout, etc.

Miguel