What can I use to remove clutch linings from steel ?

Tornado220

I am trying to remove the friction material from automatic transmission brake bands, they use a "phenolic" glue which dried for 24 hours and is then baked at 204 degrees, my question is how can I remove this "polymer" bonding agent in order to reline with the new friction material ?

I have tried a gas torch and this is very labour intensive not to mention the fire risk, but it still needs to be bead blast to get the residue off, I was curious to see if there is any chemical I could use to soak them off ?  but I couldn't find anything that will attack this "thermoset" material.

Any help would be very appreciated 

Welcome.

That adhesion method  and strength is what makes brakes and friction bands reliable.  If a wimpier adhesive method was used, failures would be too frequent.  So use an agressive method to remove such.  I like grinding wheels, and less aggressive are sanding disks.  Sandblasting should work too.

Have you compared the amount of time and work of removal/reline against purchasing a new replacement part ?

image.png.b6dd54818ebbf7bfa2f23e7728f8df4d.png

Hi Externet, Yes I understand all that, none currently made, whilst I redevelop the steel part (ie materials and design) I am having to reline the old ones, there is one other company that reline these, (they are very specific) and he won't use the material I want used, so I have invested in a temp controlled oven, and everything else needed and for the last several months, our current method of removal works but is very labour intensive and is not what I would call an ideal method, what I was hoping to find was some chemical that would attack the bonding thus meaning we could simply soak the friction material off.