Just started my account here - got a warning my "password was compromised"?

Hello, I just began this account. The moment I created my account with my new password I got a warning from google chrome stating my "password is compromised" and that I need to change it for all sites I use that have the same password. 

Can anyone explain why this has happened? Is this anything to be seriously concerned about? This is an https site so my information should be private. 

Thanks, sorry if I am posting in the wrong section I am new to the site. 

Edited by deplicitron
spelling

As you’ve used the same password elsewhere, google is telling you it’s been exposed and you shouldn’t also use it here. Has nothing to do with this forum, and everything to do with your need to go cleanup your credentials across the internet where you’ve created accounts. 

More here: https://www.wired.com/story/chrome-password-popups/

Through Chrome and Android, Google has offered to keep track of your passwords for a while now; you can see any that it might have linked to your Google account by signing in here. In recent months, it's also been offering to suggest strong passwords for new accounts, and now it'll check your existing passwords too, which is what's prompting those pop-ups.

screenshot  of password bar
COURTESY OF GOOGLE

If you haven't seen one yet but still want to get your Google-powered password audit, head here in your web browser and click Check passwords. It'll let you know if it sees three problems in three categories: passwords you've used more than once, passwords that have appeared in data breaches leaked online, and passwords that aren't strong enough.

!

Moderator Note

Moved to Suggestions, Comments, and Support.

Sounds like a Chrome thing. I've never seen anything like that here.

"Compromised" makes it sound like someone's already cracked it, but could they be talking about a password that's been so popular that it's insecure? I wouldn't choose something like "IamGroot" or "12345" because those may already be considered compromised.

1 hour ago, iNow said:

As you’ve used the same password elsewhere, google is telling you it’s been exposed and you shouldn’t also use it here. Has nothing to do with this forum, and everything to do with your need to go cleanup your credentials across the internet where you’ve created accounts. 

More here: https://www.wired.com/story/chrome-password-popups/

Thanks