I want to create a 1 meter BEC

fredreload

6 hours ago, swansont said:

How do you propose to do this?

Check the video I posted, all the same scale but larger(I am not sure how they created this BEC medium, I will have to review the article), and I will try to confine the light at the center through a mirror or gravity confinement. I am not sure yet how to trap a light source. Perhaps you could provide some ideas for me :D

Edited by fredreload

1 hour ago, swansont said:

Yes, that’s what I’m wondering - if you have any idea what’s involved in scaling this up, or the limitations involved. 

O, I am not sure = =. I am thinking of some theoretical photon generators such as light antenna or ion cannon but those are theoretical applications. Perhaps a point laser that is possible of photons expansion. I am not sure about the medium they talked about in BEC, increasing the size of this medium would be good

51 minutes ago, Endy0816 said:

Cooling a large volume down to such low temperatures would be extremely difficult in a home setting.

Ya, I know, I probably wouldn't be able to build one but just theorizing and verifying the concept

https://physicsworld.com/a/slowed-light-breaks-record/

This settles it, trapping atoms with a magnetic field might be able to be applied to photons as well since it exist as an em wave(speculation)

https://scitechdaily.com/one-giant-leap-for-quantum-science-exotic-fifth-state-of-matter-created-on-space-station/

Edited by fredreload

Why is light not affected by magnetic fields?
But the reason that light and magnetism do not recognize one another is that light has a so much higher frequency – it oscillates 10,000 times faster than the fastest magnetic fields. “Photons, that is, particles of light, can be absorbed.

I think when you slow light down by a factor of 3 million times the magnetic field should have an effect on the light wave. It is just whether this photons exist as a necklace or beads
Edited by fredreload

https://www.physicscentral.com/explore/action/light.cfm

This article is interesting in that the light slows down because it is turned into polaritons, something with higher mass. This means the light's energy is unchanged and stored(speculation).

And this is the actual experiment

https://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/18/us/scientists-bring-light-to-full-stop-hold-it-then-send-it-on-its-way.html

Edited by fredreload

10 hours ago, fredreload said:

O, I am not sure = =. I am thinking of some theoretical photon generators such as light antenna or ion cannon but those are theoretical applications.

I wasn’t talking about applications, I was talking about scaling up the experiment itself. 

A regular BEC experiment would cost $50k, minimum. More if you’re not able to build up the lasers and electronics yourself. 

I would discuss why scaling it up would be problematic, but you haven’t shown you know what’s involved in making a BEC in the first place. It appears you are leaping past all the technical details to discuss the pipe dream of making a 1 meter BEC. The first question to ask is why nobody who knows what they are doing has done this already.

10 hours ago, fredreload said:

I am not sure about the medium they talked about in BEC, increasing the size of this medium would be good

The BEC is the medium.

3 hours ago, fredreload said:
Why is light not affected by magnetic fields?

It is, under certain conditions, in the right medium.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_effect

18 minutes ago, swansont said:

I wasn’t talking about applications, I was talking about scaling up the experiment itself. 

A regular BEC experiment would cost $50k, minimum. More if you’re not able to build up the lasers and electronics yourself. 

I would discuss why scaling it up would be problematic, but you haven’t shown you know what’s involved in making a BEC in the first place. It appears you are leaping past all the technical details to discuss the pipe dream of making a 1 meter BEC. The first question to ask is why nobody who knows what they are doing has done this already.

The BEC is the medium.

Alright = =, let me add one more thing to prove that the light can be stopped inside a BEC and I will work on the design = =, if you got any lead I will be happy to hear it = =. Essentially increasing the mass of light is not energy loss.

As for the design concept, perhaps something like this NASA setup.

https://scitechdaily.com/one-giant-leap-for-quantum-science-exotic-fifth-state-of-matter-created-on-space-station/?fbclid=IwAR3yVW6EWysHTSnZpzbTFOtwBTqkVtRJj6eWYDbQZozWHG_RKnfHiMcHeDs

Edited by fredreload

7 hours ago, fredreload said:

Ya, I know, I probably wouldn't be able to build one but just theorizing and verifying the concept

https://physicsworld.com/a/slowed-light-breaks-record/

This settles it, trapping atoms with a magnetic field might be able to be applied to photons as well since it exist as an em wave(speculation)

https://scitechdaily.com/one-giant-leap-for-quantum-science-exotic-fifth-state-of-matter-created-on-space-station/

No, this doesn’t settle it.

2 minutes ago, fredreload said:

Alright = =, let me add one more thing to prove that the light can be stopped inside a BEC and I will work on the design = =, if you got any lead I will be happy to hear it = =. Essentially increasing the mass of light is not energy loss.

As for the design concept, perhaps something like this NASA setup.

https://scitechdaily.com/one-giant-leap-for-quantum-science-exotic-fifth-state-of-matter-created-on-space-station/?fbclid=IwAR3yVW6EWysHTSnZpzbTFOtwBTqkVtRJj6eWYDbQZozWHG_RKnfHiMcHeDs

Stop with the videos already.

They don’t give the details necessary to discuss this. There is no science here, it’s pop-sci; the veneer of the results without getting into the scientific details, where most of the science is.

7 minutes ago, swansont said:

No, this doesn’t settle it.

Stop with the videos already.

They don’t give the details necessary to discuss this. There is no science here, it’s pop-sci; the veneer of the results without getting into the scientific details, where most of the science is.

If you are so knowledgable about BEC why don't you share your science? You think a video from Harvard Institute is sci-fi?

Edited by fredreload

18 minutes ago, fredreload said:

You think a video from Harvard Institute is sci-fi?

Pop-sci is not sci-fi. Sci-fi is made up, but pop-sci is science reporting that often leaves out important details, focusing on the spectacular and amazing in order to be "popular". It's their job to maintain high interest in a difficult-to-understand discipline, not to be an accurate resource.

6 minutes ago, fredreload said:

The point is I talk too much or what = =?

Why would you think that? I think your problem is listening. Did you hear the part about a normal BEC experiment costing 50 grand? That would stop me cold.

19 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Pop-sci is not sci-fi. Sci-fi is made up, but pop-sci is science reporting that often leaves out important details, focusing on the spectacular and amazing in order to be "popular". It's their job to maintain high interest in a difficult-to-understand discipline, not to be an accurate resource.

Why would you think that? I think your problem is listening. Did you hear the part about a normal BEC experiment costing 50 grand? That would stop me cold.

True, I am theorizing the idea in case someone(with 50 grand) came across and find this theory useful(if he already does not have a BEC), build a BEC and use it to promote me = =, kind of a long shot, I know. I dunno you guys stand point, could be top secret, just happened to fire an ion cannon on my building(test shot?) while I was there @@ to stop time, and use it on numerous movies, anime, and novels.

4 minutes ago, fredreload said:

I dunno you guys stand point, could be top secret, just happened to fire an ion cannon on my building(test shot?) while I was there @@ to stop time, and use it on numerous movies, anime, and novels.

I'm unsure what you mean. Stand point? Is this some kind of paranoia-driven conspiracy you're proposing? If it's funny I don't get it.

7 minutes ago, fredreload said:

True, I am theorizing the idea in case someone(with 50 grand) came across and find this theory useful(if he already does not have a BEC), build a BEC and use it to promote me = =, kind of a long shot, I know. I dunno you guys stand point, could be top secret, just happened to fire an ion cannon on my building(test shot?) while I was there @@ to stop time, and use it on numerous movies, anime, and novels.

Just curious here, what do "= =" and " @@" mean?

16 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

I'm unsure what you mean. Stand point? Is this some kind of paranoia-driven conspiracy you're proposing? If it's funny I don't get it.

Nvm if you are confused sorry about that = =, stand point means you guys consider the topic top secret and do not want to discuss further about it.

P.S. And I am late by 20 years

14 minutes ago, Bufofrog said:

Just curious here, what do "= =" and " @@" mean?

Those are expressions like sad face =/, and confusion face @@, I try to make emoji to appear more user friendly

Edited by fredreload

12 minutes ago, fredreload said:

stand point means you guys consider the topic top secret and do not want to discuss further about it.

It's been discussed many time's, I once asked Swansont why the heat death of the universe wouldn't result in a universal BEC; if I remember correctly, density was, at least, part of the answer.

1 hour ago, fredreload said:

If you are so knowledgable about BEC why don't you share your science?

Ask pertinent questions and I will try to answer them

1 hour ago, fredreload said:

You think a video from Harvard Institute is sci-fi?

I didn’t say sci-fi, I said pop-sci. Pop-sci doesn’t teach science, it teaches about science. Like I said, it’s a veneer, discussing results, in general terms. No nuts-and-bolts science.

You get a result (we slowed light down to 10 m/s or whatever) but what about the person-years of work it took to get there? That’s what needs to be discussed, and what you need to know if you wanted to do a similar experiment. You need to know how the experiment works - and what doesn’t work - in order to do that. 

That kind of knowledge doesn’t lend itself to a post or two. You’re better off reading the journal papers on the topic. And since you likely don’t have a sincere desire to do this (the >$50k price tag being one indication), I don’t see what the motivation would be.