Mike Smith Cosmos

studiot

I was reading through Mordred's long standing thread on space and I came across some posts from Mike in the early part.

Members may wish to know that Mike passed away earlier this month after a long standing degenerative illness (not covid).

Mike was an interesting character, an artist with a degree in Physics and the founder of a successful manufacturing business before retirement to Cornwall.

His artistic (dreamy) side gave him an unusual and sometimes frustrating perspective on Physics, especially later in life when we knew him.

But he was a genuine character and sometimes offered suprising insights as well.

Edited by studiot

Thanks for telling us, @studiot. I'm sorry.

I'd like to reach out to everybody who has a genuine interest on what all of this (reality) is about, no matter what their background or what their grasp of science is.

We as individuals come and go, but the human endeavour to understand the cosmos and ourselves, and how all that we perceive came to be, lives on.

My homage to Mike, I will express in the words of Ticho Brahe, as I remember them referred by Carl Sagan --addressed to Johannes Kepler:

"Let me not seem to have lived in vain."

Edited by joigus

53 minutes ago, studiot said:

But he was a genuine character and sometimes offered suprising insights as well.

An epitaph I'm sure he'd enjoy and agree with. Thanks for letting us know of his passing. He was eloquent and civil and treasured knowledge. We will MISS YOU, MIKE!