Question about spinning a torus

Drummer_Dave

So, I'm spinning my wedding ring on the table, (I'm right-handed, so spin it anti-clockwise, with my right thumb on the bottom and my left forefinger on the top).

If I look down on it from above, it goes through a number of phases (has to be spun quite fast):

1. starts spinning anti-clockwise

2. the centre forms a triangle shape

3. slows and starts spinning clockwise

4.  slows and starts spinning anti-clockwise and the centre forms a square

5. slows and starts spinning clockwise

6. slows and starts spinning anti-clockwise and the centre forms a pentagon

7. slows and starts spinning clockwise

8. slows and starts spinning anti-clockwise and the centre forms a hexagon..

..etc.

Can anyone explain to to me please?

Sounds like a stroboscopic effect. Have you tried it in natural or incandescent light?

A spinning ring/disk will not reverse direction, but the spin goes anti-clockwise and the precession of the primary axis turns clockwise and the latter becomes more noticeable as the spin flattens.

Thank-you Halc, that sounds very feasible.   Only tried under LED lights, will try tomorrow in natural light.

Great answer, thank-you.

Obviously I'm aware that the direction of spin doesn't change, and its now quite clear that it is the precession idea that suggests a direction of rotation (thanks again).

Taking it in reverse, imagine a 3cm slice of a pringle tube on the table, starting to spin increasingly fast.  As it starts to spin, it slowly rotates on one edge and goes from a horizontal plane to almost vertical.  But it's the top down view as it's spinning almost vertically....  why does the inner space created by the body of the ring briefly form regular polygons with increasing number of sides?

On 1/21/2021 at 11:05 PM, Halc said:

Sounds like a stroboscopic effect. Have you tried it in natural or incandescent light?

A spinning ring/disk will not reverse direction, but the spin goes anti-clockwise and the precession of the primary axis turns clockwise and the latter becomes more noticeable as the spin flattens.

You were right, I tried in in daylight and the shape nor direction didn't appears to change, it stayed as a many sided polygon,  close to a circle (the daylight is not great at the moment).

Thanks again for your replies.