Geoengineering

Sandzak

https://bigthink.com/surprising-science/harvard-scientists-controversial-plan-dim-sunlight?rebelltitem=6#rebelltitem6

https://youtu.be/N50tIzzPlg8

Would it not be better to send a rocket with nanoparticles and to dispers it between earth and sun?

I read in the book "Fully Automated Luxury Communism" if the average temperature of the earth rises above 6 °C all beeings with lungs die, because the methane brakes out.

Edited by Sandzak

Any reflectors in space will need to have station keeping capability, ie have the means to move around ie be little (or very big) spaceships. Because any inert material will be pushed out of position (presumably Lagrange zone between Sun and Earth) by sunlight and solar wind. I don't think we could build up low emissions space launch capability even if there were funds for it - and is this to be an alternative to cutting emissions? Dumping dust in the atmosphere is just a thought bubble, not any kind of real option. It offers no alternative to shifting away from fossil fuels to clean energy - an approach which is already gaining momentum.

Most leading climate research groups have doubling of CO2 making between 2 and 6C. The doubling depends on what we do, within discussion where action and inaction are inverted; we are acting to emit huge amounts of CO2, many times more than all other kinds of waste. I don't think we will die from methane - there isn't that much of it - but big releases would probably be a part of getting to 6C.

As for what happens with 6C of warming? That is a world I find hard to contemplate - I live somewhere where summers can already get unbearably hot and drought and catastrophic fires are showing signs of increased intensity already, at 1C. If economies and societies are so fragile that a transition to zero emissions is fiercely opposed then how much more fragile with the 6C that unconstrained fossil fuel burning will bring? Which over land here could be 8C rise in local air temperatures; I think heatwaves would kill crops and livestock and remnant ecosystems. How do you feel about refugees?

But the capacity humans have for making bad situations a lot, lot worse - good governance seems even more essential than ever. And if we cannot manage that now, how much harder in a world changed out of recognition.

How do you feel about refugees?

The people in need, have not the money to leave their country, just the rich.

Focus should be to help the people in need. More Refugees and the West elects neo-fascists like Trump

15 hours ago, Sandzak said:

https://bigthink.com/surprising-science/harvard-scientists-controversial-plan-dim-sunlight?rebelltitem=6#rebelltitem6

https://youtu.be/N50tIzzPlg8

Would it not be better to send a rocket with nanoparticles and to dispers it between earth and sun?

I read in the book "Fully Automated Luxury Communism" if the average temperature of the earth rises above 6 °C all beeings with lungs die, because the methane brakes out.

!

Moderator Note

Can you please summarize what you are linking to, as required by our rules?

• 3 years later...

This past week, an experiment in geoengineering.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/geoengineering-test-quietly-launches-salt-crystals-into-atmosphere/

Geoengineering Test Quietly Launches Salt Crystals into Atmosphere

A solar geoengineering experiment in San Francisco could lead to brighter clouds that reflect sunlight. The risks are numerous.

CLIMATEWIRE | The nation's first outdoor test to limit global warming by increasing cloud cover launched Tuesday from the deck of a decommissioned aircraft carrier in the San Francisco Bay.

The experiment, which organizers didn't widely announce to avoid public backlash, marks the acceleration of a contentious field of research known as solar radiation modification. The concept involves shooting substances such as aerosols into the sky to reflect sunlight away from the Earth.

The move led by researchers at the University of Washington has renewed questions about how to effectively and ethically study promising climate technologies that could also harm communities and ecosystems in unexpected ways. The experiment is spraying microscopic salt particles into the air, and the secrecy surrounding its timing caught even some experts off guard.