A very tough (and possibly controversial) poll about sexual abuse and rape

tim.tdj

A very tough (and possibly controversial) poll about sexual abuse and rape  

1. 1. Would you prefer to be sexually abused or raped, or be falsely accused of sexual abuse or rape?

• You get sexually abused or raped but afterwards all of your friends and family sympathize with you and they do their best to help you recover.
    • You get falsely accused of sexual abuse or rape, you go to prison, all of your friends and family turn against you and the rest of your life is ruined.

This poll is closed to new votes

14 minutes ago, tim.tdj said:

I just think that the investigations should be as fair and intelligent as possible. False accusations of all types, sexual or otherwise, worry me. It does not matter what type it is.

And yet you chose to open this thread to discuss just one type. Fascinating. 

You even went so far in the poll as to strongly imply a false accusation is worse than the act of violence itself.

* You get sexually abused or raped but afterwards all of your friends and family sympathize with you and they do their best to help you recover.

* You get falsely accused of sexual abuse or rape, you go to prison, all of your friends and family turn against you and the rest of your life is ruined.

Fascinating again 

Edited by iNow

9 hours ago, Bufofrog said:

I find this thread deeply offensive.  There seem to be several members who's general feeling about rape is "we have to protect men".

I won't be returning to this abomination of a thread...

I hope you're not referring to me. This is not my stance, nor have I said it is. 

8 hours ago, Phi for All said:

Because you aren't being intellectually honest with your argument. You've perverted the idea that we should start by believing accusers into "believe them 100% without doubt". Then you and others piled on with anecdotes from the radio where this perverted argument was repeated, claiming it's only what you've heard. It's pretty sick because once again you're making it harder for victims to get justice from a level field.

I have made no perverted argument about any of these things, just been accused. Just because I've heard it doesn't mean I support it. I made a comment in response to other comments, I've since been accused of being some kind of women hating incel who thinks they lie about rape. 

You're making outrageous assumptions about me, I find this deeply insulting. 

THIS IS NOT MY STANCE.

6 minutes ago, iNow said:

You are reading between the lines where there is nothing to read.

4 minutes ago, iNow said:

You even went so far in the poll as to strongly imply a false accusation is worse than the act of violence itself.

It is up to each individual to decide which is worse.

5 minutes ago, iNow said:

Fascinating again 

Yeah the poll is obviously made with a very specific viewpoint in mind.

How about you are sexually abused but no one believes you? Or you are sexually abused, and report it but lose your career over it? How about you are sexually abused and have to explain your browser history in front of a jury? Or you are sexually abused and folks tell you not to be a slut? Or you are sexually abused and folks try to help you but you cannot overcome the resulting psychological problems?

I mean, some things happen more commonly than others.

!

Moderator Note

There’s a lot that’s gone sideways with this thread.

8 minutes ago, Curious layman said:

I have made no perverted argument about any of these things, just been accused. Just because I've heard it doesn't mean I support it. I made a comment in response to other comments, I've since been accused of being some kind of women hating incel who thinks they lie about rape. 

You're making outrageous assumptions about me, I find this deeply insulting. 

THIS IS NOT MY STANCE.

!

Moderator Note

You weren’t the one quoted. Why did you think they were talking to you?

7 minutes ago, tim.tdj said:

You are reading between the lines where there is nothing to read.

!

Moderator Note

You never justified your original statements, nor did I see you retract them. What I see is bad-faith discussion, so we’re done with this little disaster

While this thread is closed and (I think) being the only person who identifies as female in this thread, I just wanted to provide a little food for thought. Of all the women in my life with whom I am close to, I can't think of a single one who hasn't been sexually assaulted or raped by a man at some point in her life. I cannot say the same about the men I know wrt to false accusations. Anecdotal I know, but something to think about.