predicting consequences - brain regions

3 hours ago, Hans de Vries said:

Which parts of the brain are responsible for predicting consequences ofactions? Dysfunction of what parts can cause disturbances to this ability? Like dangerous behavior or careless heath related behavrioe?

Although I agree all regions of the brain contribute some quality to our behavioral outputs or responses, some regions contribute demonstratively and quantifiably more.  Consider, if you will, the curious case of Phineas Gage who suffered a traumatic brain injury when a railroad spike rocketed through his left prefrontal in a 19th century railroad accident.  Although Phineas survived and lived another 12 years after the accident, reports emerged suggesting he had suffered profound changes to his personality.

Prior to the injury that destroyed his left prefrontal cortex Phineas, from most accounts, was a well regarded site manager for the railroad.  After recovering from his injury, accounts are that he displayed bawdy and inappropriate behaviors, fits of anger, and an inability to maintain employment consequently.  The injury appeared to have rendered Phineas with an immature disregard for the consequences of his behavior.  From another perspective, consider the behavioral outcome of leucotomy (lobotomy) during the first half of the 20th century.

Leucotomy was a widely used psychosurgical procedures separating the prefrontal cortex from the cerebrum that fell into disrepute by mid-20th century.  Sometimes causing death, this procedure was employed to treat certain forms of mental illness and it frequently resulted in listless, indolent patients.  These patients appeared unconcern with future needs or responsibilities beyond what may have been presently occurring. The behavioral outcome of these types of injuries and surgeries to the prefrontal cortex suggest that its function may contribute significantly to our anticipatory behavioral output.

From my perspective of brain evolution, the cortex is merely an extension of subcortical processes and is where sensory stimuli is extensively perceived and assessed for suitable or reciprocal behavioral outputs.  The prefrontal cortex evolved, in my view of evolution, concurrent with the anticipatory needs and behaviors of ancestral animals.  It is my belief that our modern prefrontal cortical function is what gave our emerging ancestors a survival advantage over our Neanderthal predecessors.

The quality that prefrontal function contributes to our behaviors is convincingly displayed by sufferers of hypofrontality in schizophrenia who predominately appear to have little regard for their behavioral consequences.  Interestingly, we all experiences a transient form of hypofrontality during our dreaming stages of sleep.  In conclusion and in answer to your query, the prefrontal cortex is likely the part of our brain that is most involved in assessing or predicting the consequences of our actions and behaviors.  I hope this helps.